How many games been created using GE & published till date ?

Talk about making games.

How many games been created using GE & published till date ?

Postby tdmxross » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:59 am

How many Games have been created using GE and published till date? i've been wondering if there are any big hits on online stores such as steam which were developed using GE. i know about City of rott, but i wanna know if there are any that i don't know about.
GE is better than every single game engine
tdmxross

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Re: How many games been created using GE & published till da

Postby lcl » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm

City of Rott is the only GE game on Steam. There has been multiple iPhone / iPad games made with Game Editor that made it to the App Store, but I think most of them are not downloadable anymore because the developers have not paid their annual fee (99$ per year :roll:).

Probably one of the biggest hits ever made with Game Editor was the fan-made Sonic the Hedgehog horror game called Sonic.exe that was based on a creepypasta. The game was even played by some very famous YouTubers. However, the game was popular mostly because it was something rather new - a sonic horror game. The game was quite lacking in terms of gameplay, not the greatest display of the capability of Game Editor. Later the developer went on and remade the game from scratch in Game Maker, and that's the version that you'd probably find nowadays if you search for it.

You can check the Showcase forum for some of the best games made with Game Editor: viewforum.php?f=26

Also, there used to be a page dedicated for listing complete games made with Game Editor on the main site, but as the site is currently broken following the SourceForge data center migration, you can't actually view that page anymore.

Here's a list of some of the best finished games made with Game Editor:

Target Defense by DST: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7005

Defenders of Avalon by DST: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10751

Christmas Quest by DST: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9579&p=66447

Winter Blast by Bee-Ant: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5702

Winter Blast 2 by Bee-Ant: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6421

Monster Egg World by Bee-Ant: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5126

Sonic: Empire of Nightmares by CrimsonTheDarkBat: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10334

Axria Retro World by JamesLeonardo32: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11788

Enblast by Wertyboy: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12340

Robotic Downfall by Zivouhr: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13565

Tomb of Twelve by Zivouhr: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13394

Alien Escape by Camper1995: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8719&p=67019

Robot Escape by Camper1995: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9274&p=67040

Dimension 55355 by me: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10333

There's also quite a few finished games that just have been buried deep into the forum and are kind of forgotten by now. Without remembering their names they are pretty difficult to find.

Also, these demos of incomplete games show great quality made with Game Editor:

Winter Blast ReMax by Bee-Ant: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8715
This game has 99 characters :shock:

Sonic: Velocity by CrimsonTheDarkBat: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11461
This game has actual voice acting :shock:

Sorry for some of the pictures being so big... I was too lazy to actually download, resize and upload them myself. :P
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby tdmxross » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:46 pm

i played some of the games above

Tower defense is completely addictive and a great example of programming skills.
monster egg world was so good, i played it several times!
enblast is good too, the shop feature, cool graphics and unlimited gameplay was awesome.

i wish the steam store had more GE games. :(
but these are good too :D

is it possible for me to make a game and sell it on steam :?:
tdmxross

Postby MrJolteon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:09 am

tdmxross wrote:is it possible for me to make a game and sell it on steam :?:

Of course it is, it's already been done after all.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:01 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
tdmxross wrote:is it possible for me to make a game and sell it on steam :?:

Of course it is, it's already been done after all.

Yes. The thing that makes it difficult is the fact that you have to somehow make it through the Steam Greenlight.

Zivouhr's City of Rott was actually based on some animated movies he had made previously, and I think it was partly thanks to the fans of those movies that he was able to make it through Greenlight. So, for a game from a developer with no previous works and thus no fanbase, it is probably even more difficult to make it to Steam than it was for Zivouhr.

But I think Steam may not even be the best platform for releasing indie games (which all of our games essentially are).

Firstly because the platform is already overcrowded with games (there's over 20 000 games on Steam at this point, and literally hundreds of new games are added each month (source: SteamSpy). I think it goes without saying that the competition for publicity is extreme with those numbers.

And secondly, because on Steam your game would be competing against not only other indie games but also Triple-A titles by international companies with infinitely more resources and manpower for development than a single indie developer or even a small group has. I mean, it obviously can, and has been already been done succesfully. What I mean is that it can be very difficult, especially if you've never published a game before and thus don't have even a small fanbase already.

But it's not hopeless for us to get our games to the hands of many players. I'd just say that it's probably better to start somewhere else than Steam. For example, Game Jolt and itch.io are among some of the biggest platforms for distributing indie games. Of course, there's competition there as well, but the difference is that you're competing against games made by other people like you - individuals (or small groups of people) developing games as a hobby. And there's even the chance that your game would gather enough attention on a site like thsoe to be able to make it to Steam eventually, as that's already happened for some developers.
lcl

Postby tdmxross » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm

thank you so much for the information! i'm going to release my first game on itch.io for free to get some attention from the other people. i will make games to sale later. :D
tdmxross

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

tdmxross wrote:thank you so much for the information! i'm going to release my first game on itch.io for free to get some attention from the other people. i will make games to sale later. :D

Sounds good! :) Also, one of the best ways to promote your game in the indie community is to be a part of the community - to play and rate games made by other people and help them by giving useful feedback. Simply being visible in the community helps you build a reputation for yourself, and that's good for promoting your game. If people know you, they are more likely to check out what you've made.
lcl

Return to Game Development