importing external content in-game

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

importing external content in-game

Postby j2graves » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:02 am

one thing I'd love to do is give a player the ability to create something in my game. for instance, if a player wanted to design a platform for a fighter game, I'd like it if they could draw something in paint or whatever graphics program and then import it into my game. the animation could then be applied to a pre-existing actor.

also, I'd like someone to be able to take some data from one game, and apply it to a completely different game (that has all the same variables, of course)
No games to my name...
j2graves

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Re: importing external content in-game

Postby Kalladdolf » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:12 am

Good (first) idea.
The second wish although is already fulfilled, as GE can do that. (Well, either you do your thing with the LoadGame() function or you script very hard.)
Pyrometal has posted some pretty good platform demos with map editors (with a save and load function). I think he also was talking about saving maps as text files which would just be awesome.
Now I don't know his progress on it and I suck at that kind of data coding, but maybe someone else can help you on that.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby DST » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:39 am

Don't forget about the "Merge" option in the file menu, that will allow you to combine two games (Though i don't know what effect same variable/actor names in both games would have).
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:34 pm

j2graves wrote:one thing I'd love to do is give a player the ability to create something in my game. for instance, if a player wanted to design a platform for a fighter game, I'd like it if they could draw something in paint or whatever graphics program and then import it into my game. the animation could then be applied to a pre-existing actor.

also, I'd like someone to be able to take some data from one game, and apply it to a completely different game (that has all the same variables, of course)

I think the Actor Templates can solve this:

http://code.game-editor.com/ticket/6
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests