[S O L V E D] ★ Quiz for you (With prizes)

Anything that doesn't belong in the other forums.

[S O L V E D] ★ Quiz for you (With prizes)

Postby bat78 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:06 pm

You have 24h to figure it out. After the time elapses, I will upload the .ged with the quiz solved in it. (refresh the page to update the countdown)
Good luck! ;)
images.jpg
Last edited by bat78 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Re: ★ Quiz for you (With prizes) ! I defy LcL, skydereign..

Postby DeltaLeeds » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:49 am

I'm going to try the quiz, I'm kinda doubtful about it though, but I'll try my best. xD
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:14 am

I may also try if I can find time for it. If I get to try this I may have to ask some further questions about the rules to make sure my idea fits the rules.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 am

The one who solve it, totally deserves the title, provided in one of three rewards.

A little hint.
The idea itself can involve more code, more variables, less need of coding skills and almost no need of coding skills.
The same idea, applied with some abstraction and coding skills could be suited to fit the rules, which in other words are:

1. You can only use up to one function and it needs to be a gE-specific function (like ExitGame() lol)
2. You can only use up to one actor, but it must be a bitmap actor with maximum dims of 5x2
3. You can only use up to 2 variables and 3 calls (like one in Create Actor and two in Draw Actor) OR
    You can only use up to 3 variables and 2 calls (like one in Create Actor and one in Draw Actor)
4. You need to solve it in the index of the specified time restriction
5. If you follow the rules above, the entire game can fit in fairly / 4 lines / of code in total.

I might be able to give some respite / time extension ..but only if I see people to progress or at least get involved.
If no one solved the task, but there are ideas / demos that are close enough to the only correct way possible, I tend to
half the power of the rewards, but still offer them, because your time and efforts worth it.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry about the presentational design. I wanted to attract people and experiment with a GIMP plugin.
The design is entirely made in GIMP. The quality is very bad and text is blurry, because the whole image is a GIF (non-optimized GIF)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And now some individual guidelines..

@Jonathan
Coincidentally I challenged you, Jon.
I know you have the amount of knowledge to solve it. Just think. The rules are pretty much exclusive and there are very small amount of things to be considered left.
There is obviously one possible way for it, and it increases in obviousness with the improvement of the right insight.

@LcL
Same applies to you. You are smart and you only need to open your mind a little.
You've done thousand times harder things and came up with greater ideas.
bat78

Postby DeltaLeeds » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Bat, I just learnt about moveto, setpen and lineto thanks to this challenge (I never considered them before, and ge's tutorials don't work for me, forgive me :oops:) and I think I may be able to finish this, I think. But I got carried away with making lines and I help my mom around a lot. Plus I saw this when we only had 12 more hours. I must sleep now, I wish I were you at this case. :lol: Seems like a ridiculously long time but maybe I could submit something by then. xP
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 pm

jonathang wrote:Bat, I just learnt about moveto, setpen and lineto thanks to this challenge (I never considered them before, and ge's tutorials don't work for me, forgive me :oops:) and I think I may be able to finish this, I think. But I got carried away with making lines and I help my mom around a lot. Plus I saw this when we only had 12 more hours. I must sleep now, I wish I were you at this case. :lol: Seems like a ridiculously long time but maybe I could submit something by then. xP

You cannot use the drawing functions for this quiz.
Read the rules ^^
bat78 wrote:1. You can only use up to one function and it needs to be a gE-specific function (like ExitGame() lol)

see? Of course.. you can use putpixel (even though it is not even gE-specific), but without a pen and without mathematical functions it is kind of impossible don't you think xP

I will update with the solution in 30 minutes since this post.
bat78

Postby bat78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Time Ended.
I am sorry for those who had no opportunity to share their ideas, but I could not give additional time for those who had.
Now, the solution. There are several solutions sharing the same idea.

Quiz Solved 1.zip
Quiz solved with: 1 gE-specific function, 2 variables, 3 calls, 4 lines of code and a bitmap actor
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

Explanatory Model:
The two absolutely mandatory variables are: angle and directional_velocity
It uses a loop to create the pixel actor 360 times, assigning the current iteration as the angle of the clone actor to be created.
That way it creates 360 pixels, each of them with increased angle.
Each pixel has a Create Actor event, that specifies the directional velocity. The directional velocity defined is 40.
Since the Create Actor event is always executed first, it travels 40 pixels on the direction specified by its angle and then
it it's velocity is assigned to 0, in its Draw Actor event so it no longer moves. Therefore, with the directional velocity control variable we
can determine the area of the circle.

Quiz Solved 2.zip
Quiz solved with: 1 gE-specific function, 2 calls, 3 variables, 5 lines of code and a bitmap actor
(16.32 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

This solution differs to the other one by that it specifies the startup directional_velocity of the actor to be created inside the loop.
That way we don't have to call additional Create Actor event of the pixel.
bat78

Re: [S O L V E D] ★ Quiz for you (With prizes)

Postby bat78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 pm

The 3rd way, maybe the winner way is the best way for some people.

You think I was misleading when I said it doesn't require complex coding?
You think the loop and the Actor pointer is too much for you?

No problem! We can still solve this by replacing the loop with a simple if-conditional statement everyone knows and a simple increment / addition to !
Oh and without using Actor* .

Quiz Solved 3.zip
Quiz solved with: 1 gE-specific function, 2 calls, 3 variables, 3 lines of code
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Explanatory Model:
That one is slightly different, but of course, still using the angle/directional_velocity concept.
For that one, we create a global variable called counter
That variable is incremented by 1 each fps until it reaches 359 (checked by an if-condition).
For each increment, the pixel creates another pixel clone, which additionally speeds up the task by parsing the same code (note the last arg to CreateActor - true i.e its position is not relative to the creator.
The secondary event, setting directional_velocity to 0 still remains and in second call of Create Actor on the pixel has been given
directional_velocity = 40 and the counter has been assigned to the actor's angle.
bat78

Return to Other