Working on a Space Shooter (untitled)

Talk about making games.

Working on a Space Shooter (untitled)

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:49 pm

So, I am still doing things. I haven't gotten to work as much as I would like on games, as I have been very busy. Right now, I started on this space shooter. Will post the GED, and data, although there is not much to show right now. Honestly, the HP Bar took me a little while to do because there was a lot of work in paint in terms of creating the animations and everything. Don't really know the direction I will go in with this game, and the models aren't final of course, although I do like Starship Pi.
Attachments
Twitch Space Shooter.ged
(10.1 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
space art.zip
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Re: Working on a Space Shooter (untitled)

Postby Kcee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 pm

I really love the hp bar animation. You can call the game Edge of Space.
Currently working on: Super Stick Brawl.
Kcee

Score: 13 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:29 am

Kcee wrote:I really love the hp bar animation. You can call the game Edge of Space.

Thank you very much! My only problem with it is that when the player gets hit, it jumps to the last frame of the animation, and then restarts, otherwise, I really like it. In case you didn't see it, I also added a death screen, where once you are hit with only one hp left, your ship is teleported to another screen, the key buttons are disabled, and you have to slowly watch your hp go away, and once the animation is finished, you die. I will add a more flashy death later, but I guess I should actually work on some things for now.

Also, unless the name doesn't fit after I am all said and done, I like "Edge of Space" Again, thank you!
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby Kcee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:04 am

Oops! I think that name has been taken. You could use Verge of Space or Graviton Wars.
Kcee

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:09 am

Okay, today I worked and finished an overheat system. Kind of sloppy, but I thought through each step slowly, but it works!

Basically, I created a var named Overheat, and I set it to be equal to 4 under Create Actor. Once you press space, the Overheat var goes down by one as long as it is equal to or greater than zero. Once it hits zero, a timer is created called Overheat. Also, a canvas actor called laser_Destroyer is created and its parent is set to the main ship. Once you press space to shoot, your lasers are immediately destroyed by the canvas. The timer, once finished after two seconds (might readjust though) will do three things: set Overheat back to 4, Destroy the destroy_Laser actor, and finally destroy itself. This process can be repeated over and over!

The next thing I will be working on is making to where EnemyHP is set for every individual ship, so you don't destroy all of the same king of enemy ship when HP = 0. :)
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Okay, that was pretty easy. I just forgot you could separate vars into actor and global, so whatever.

I am working on a hp restore, and that should be easy. Going to see if something is really what I think it is, and go from there. Once I am done with that, I can start focusing on the direction of the game. I have a few ideas, but for now, I will work on creating some variety, and giving it more of a space-atmosphere, in terms of backgrounds and stuff.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 am

Here is an update.

We have healing options, individual enemy hp, an ugly purple background, and boundaries. Oh, and I can't forget my Overheat system! There is a lot more in store though!

Future things: a score system, rewards for certain scores, a way to make the enemies an actual threat, updated graphics, and finally a tiny story!
Attachments
space art.zip
(44.2 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Twitch Space Shooter.ged
(17.66 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
NightOfHorror

Postby Kcee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Your game file seems to have a problem.
Kcee

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 am

Kcee wrote:Your game file seems to have a problem.

Thanks for the heads up, I will see what's up, it has been a few days since I worked on this as Valkyria Chronicles has taken over my life temporarily, but I plan on working on it tonight.
NightOfHorror

Postby tdmxross » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 pm

i played the game, it's fun :D
GE is better than every single game engine
tdmxross

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Return to Game Development