Moving on to C++ :(

Anything that doesn't belong in the other forums.

Moving on to C++ :(

Postby DeltaLeeds » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Hello guys... :(

I just got some shocking news from my college. I'm going to be an IT student, yes, but well, no C programming, there's only C++, Java and C# in my college! Because of this, I am in quite the shock. :shock:

I've always wanted to dig deeper in C and avoid other programming languages so I can actually make something in game editor without using variables, or any other engine using C language, but it appears that for the whole college period, I can't do that. :(

I want to get ahead in my college and learn C++ first, though I bet many of the IT students already mastered C++ or Java. So I want you guys to advise me on what program that's not Turbo C++ could help me get started on learning the basics of C++... If there is any, or if Turbo C++ is the only program to get me started. I'm not going to forget game editor, but I have to move on to C++. :'(
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Re: Moving on to C++ :(

Postby Turon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:46 pm

I'd say go do it! GE is coded in C++ not C (Though we use C inside gE) if you learn C++ you can develop the gE software with Skydereign. I've also been looking into learning C++ as well, Its just that I've found the IDE's kind of confusing and Its driven me away...
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby 420foxbot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:05 am

Learn C++, go make a useful program. Get Rich. Game Editor isn't going to get you anywhere bud, program's dead.
420foxbot

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:30 am

Turon wrote:I'd say go do it! GE is coded in C++ not C (Though we use C inside gE) if you learn C++ you can develop the gE software with Skydereign. I've also been looking into learning C++ as well, Its just that I've found the IDE's kind of confusing and Its driven me away...

420foxbot wrote:Learn C++, go make a useful program. Get Rich. Game Editor isn't going to get you anywhere bud, program's dead.

Thanks to you guys, I don't regret my decision anymore! If I learn C++, I can help gE's development then? That's much better than making games in the current frozen game editor I guess. :D :lol:
And yeah, C++ is meant for more things than game editor, I agree with that! Alright then, are any of you good at C++, from all I know, Foxbot might have some experience. ;)
I wish I can have a little insight on the basics, I only remember little of the basic functions like include, void, printf, gotoxy using for, and etc. xP
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Postby 420foxbot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:22 pm

jonathang wrote:
Turon wrote:I'd say go do it! GE is coded in C++ not C (Though we use C inside gE) if you learn C++ you can develop the gE software with Skydereign. I've also been looking into learning C++ as well, Its just that I've found the IDE's kind of confusing and Its driven me away...

420foxbot wrote:Learn C++, go make a useful program. Get Rich. Game Editor isn't going to get you anywhere bud, program's dead.

Thanks to you guys, I don't regret my decision anymore! If I learn C++, I can help gE's development then? That's much better than making games in the current frozen game editor I guess. :D :lol:
And yeah, C++ is meant for more things than game editor, I agree with that! Alright then, are any of you good at C++, from all I know, Foxbot might have some experience. ;)
I wish I can have a little insight on the basics, I only remember little of the basic functions like include, void, printf, gotoxy using for, and etc. xP

nah I only know c#, I may learn C++ eventually. Feel free to fork GE's code and do what you want with it, but I promise, there's really no point. With Unity and Unreal, as well as Construct, Game Maker, etc. there's really no reason to keep up with ge these days.
420foxbot

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:36 am

420foxbot wrote:With Unity and Unreal, as well as Construct, Game Maker, etc. there's really no reason to keep up with ge these days.

Hmmm, the bitter truth has finally spoken... Even with Bat working on a new and improved game editor, it's impossible to make it as good as unity, game maker, or any other better engine; She's the only developer...

Oh yeah wait, does this mean that Bat is also very skilled at C++ to be making the new and improved game editor engine? I really didn't know this, I thought she was just a pro at good ol C. :lol:
DeltaLeeds

Postby Turon » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:22 pm

jonathang wrote:
420foxbot wrote:With Unity and Unreal, as well as Construct, Game Maker, etc. there's really no reason to keep up with ge these days.

Hmmm, the bitter truth has finally spoken... Even with Bat working on a new and improved game editor, it's impossible to make it as good as unity, game maker, or any other better engine; She's the only developer...

Oh yeah wait, does this mean that Bat is also very skilled at C++ to be making the new and improved game editor engine? I really didn't know this, I thought she was just a pro at good ol C. :lol:

Bat78 hasn't been developing gE, he (she?) has been developing frameworks within game editor to inhance your ability to use gE though those references seem to be written for other bat78 analogues... They unfortunately have limited aplication so the sky's the limit when it come to inhancing gE from within...
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Return to Other