Game Editor Source Code

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

Re: Game Editor Source Code

Postby makslane » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:15 am

In this case, is better don't change the code and keep the 32bit variables.
By using the 64bit vars without check the struct alignment and sizes can causes your version doesn't load the games generated with other compilations.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby eyecreate » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:34 am

okay..i will keep compiling on my 32 bit virtual machine and just transfer the binaries over to work with on my 64 bit machine. Thanks for you input.
eyecreate

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:47 am

Compile only the gameEngine project and, if the compilation is ok, the gameengine.lib must be generated.
About the wxWidgets error, look in your drive the path of the lib file, and put this path into Visual Studio at Tools -> Options -> Project and Solutions -> VC++ Directories -> Library Files
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby Thanx » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey, maks! :P
Ummm.... I couldn't get on to the project, cause of the compatability issues, so I don't think I'll be working on GE for a good while...
But on the other hand: Does Game Editor (and or the applications it generates) use local or dynamic memory handling?
I've been reading around, in the programming field, and I read this:
Local allocation has its good points and its bad points. On the plus side, memory can be allocated from the stack very quickly. The negative side is that the stack is a fixed size and cannot be changed as the program runs. If your program runs out of stack space, weird things start to happen. Your program might crash, it might start behaving oddly, or it might seem to perform normally but crash when the program terminates.

And that's exactly what happens with GE when we start going big with game creation. When my Squareland Wars 2 project was getting big, I got wierd problems to face, that simply had no reason, since the code I wrote was syntactically correct, and obviosly didn't order the computer to do what it eventually did. If this really is the problem, maybe it is something worth fixing, even though it is a bit slower. It is still the safer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXexDJBv58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be4__gww1xQ
These are me and playing the piano (second one with a friend/fellow student)
Hope you watch and enjoy!
Thanx

Score: 24 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm

The Game Editor code uses dynamic memory allocation (like any other program). Is not a good idea use the stack to allocate big chunks of memory.
The crashs you have in your game is due to some bug in the engine.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby tarice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 pm

I need some help. I have been trying to compile the source in ubuntu 9.04 beta and I keep getting this error.
Code: Select all
gcc -c Source/ConnectionGraph.cpp -o ../output/RakNet/ConnectionGraph.o -I"." -D__linux -Dlinux -D__linux__ -DLINUX_I386    -D_LIB -DLITTLE_ENDIAN -s -Os 
In file included from Source/DS_WeightedGraph.h:22,
                 from Source/ConnectionGraph.h:26,
                 from Source/ConnectionGraph.cpp:17:
Source/DS_Map.h:89: error: template argument 3 is invalid
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘data_type& DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Get(const key_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:134: error: invalid types ‘int[unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h:138: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h:141: error: invalid types ‘int[unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘unsigned int DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::GetIndexAtKey(const key_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:152: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘void DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::RemoveAtIndex(unsigned int)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:164: error: request for member ‘RemoveAtIndex’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘data_type DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Pop(const key_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:177: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h:180: error: invalid types ‘int[unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h:181: error: request for member ‘RemoveAtIndex’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘void DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Set(const key_type&, const data_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:194: error: invalid types ‘int[unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h:198: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h:203: error: invalid types ‘int[unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h:207: error: request for member ‘Insert’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘void DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::SetExisting(const key_type&, const data_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:223: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h:228: error: invalid types ‘int[unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘void DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::SetNew(const key_type&, const data_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:240: error: request for member ‘Insert’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘bool DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Has(const key_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:251: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘bool DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Delete(const key_type&)’:
Source/DS_Map.h:263: error: request for member ‘RemoveAtIndex’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h:269: error: request for member ‘GetIndexFromKey’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h:273: error: request for member ‘RemoveAtIndex’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘void DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Clear()’:
Source/DS_Map.h:284: error: request for member ‘Clear’ in ‘((DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘int’
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘data_type& DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::operator[](unsigned int) const’:
Source/DS_Map.h:290: error: invalid types ‘const int[const unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘key_type DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::GetKeyAtIndex(unsigned int) const’:
Source/DS_Map.h:296: error: invalid types ‘const int[const unsigned int]’ for array subscript
Source/DS_Map.h: In member function ‘unsigned int DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::Size() const’:
Source/DS_Map.h:302: error: request for member ‘Size’ in ‘((const DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>*)this)->DataStructures::Map<key_type, data_type, key_comparison_func>::mapNodeList’, which is of non-class type ‘const int’
make[1]: *** [../output/RakNet/ConnectionGraph.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hacker07/gameditoscr/RakNet'
make: *** [all] Error 2

tarice

Postby skydereign » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:59 pm

I have gotten it working on Fedora, with eyecreate's help, but there are several things you need to do first. This is what eyecreate instructed me to do.
If you have all the necessary tools and libraries installed(including downloading Raknet into the premade folder) and latest svn, all you should have to do is move the file "trunk/SDL/SDL_mixer/native_midi_gpl/awe_voice.h to a folder you have to make called "linux" in that same folder. Then, if it gives you an error about "extra qualification", find the part in the code it mentions and remove that part up to and including the "::". That should be it. I just verified this for you by trying to get a fresh copy, so I hope it all works for you.
The files it needs are in the base /usr/lib folder, you just need to link them with this command in the /usr/X11R6 directory:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib lib
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby DST » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 am

Not sure about the memory allocation, but it does seem that hashmap entries get mixed up, or referenced multiple times. Its not so much that things do or don't happen, but actors perform actions from other actors, suggesting some issue with referencing id's in the hashmaps.

Sometimes i'd get a random actor spawn, suggesting an id that wasn't removed. The object defaults to 0, 0, so as an actor, it doesn't have any data. It seems like its just an entry that didn't get wiped out.

Of course, since the class still has its data, the object performs its animations or whatnot and disappears like it should; the most notable differences being its actor variables are always 0. (or the class default transp, zdepth, etc.)

i would rather make ge allocate memory generously; as there's no net play, no browser embed, there's no reason to skimp on the amount of ram it uses. Ge games are really installables. We'd expect high mem. usage.

Better to have too much than too little!
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:49 pm

makslane
Site Admin

Postby tarice » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Can someone send me a pre-compiled version for linux.
tarice

Postby eyecreate » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 pm

I can send you the version I have I've been playing with. It is not a clean copy. It was made in a Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit virtual machine.
http://www.box.net/shared/kgivy88vhg
eyecreate

Postby tarice » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:19 pm

eyecreate wrote:I can send you the version I have I've been playing with. It is not a clean copy. It was made in a Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit virtual machine.

Thanks, you are the greatest. Also can you send me like a tutorial on how you compiled the source. That would be awesome! You just saved my day, thanks again!
tarice

Postby makslane » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Have you compiled the code?

eyecreate wrote:I can send you the version I have I've been playing with. It is not a clean copy. It was made in a Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit virtual machine.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby eyecreate » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:11 pm

@tarice: Here is my cleaned up copy of my virtual machine:
https://uploadshare.s3.amazonaws.com/ga ... gz?torrent
or for those not wanting p2p:
https://uploadshare.s3.amazonaws.com/ga ... -vm.tar.gz
A few things I wana mention about it:
1.)Please use the torrent so that bandwidth is shared. I actually pay a small fee for all downloads, so play nice.
2.)Everything is set up to immediately start compiling/coding. There is a simple desktop script that makes quick builds easier and a link to the output folder on the desktop. All code has been adjusted to work on latest GCC and Ubuntu. (I still have some changes I made in the code, so it isn't "pure")
3.)while not suggested in case in reverts back some fixes to make it compile, you can start a terminal in the game-editor folder on the Desktop to update to latest SVN code from makslane. I probably should have made a diff, but haven't.
4.)I decided to distribute my virtual machine in case others had set-up troubles that they could still see/work the code, even on 64 bit machines like myself. If you would like more instructions outside of the Virtual machine, please ask I will try to help where I can.
5.)I used VirtualBox 2.2 with this virtual machine, but feel free to use VMWare or an other that supports OVF. To import the machine in VirtualBox latest, just select File->Import Appliance and select the OVF in the archive downloaded. Complete the wizard and click start to boot up.
6.)In case you need it, password to the default user is "gameeditor"
7.)I forgot to delete a my copy of Darwinia from a folder I forgot I put it in before I uploaded. Feel free to delete it to make space.(it also doesn't work very well when I tested it and was slow, so it won't gain you much to keep it)
8.)Hope this isn't too much at once, good luck tarice and others who might be looking for something like this too.
9.)Already found an oops. I didn't change the makefile from building the engine/player to the editor, which I'm sure most people would want. Open the makefile in the game-editor folder and change the line with:
GAMEEDITOR_TYPE=$(GAMEEDITOR_PROFESSIONAL_STAND_ALONE) to GAMEEDITOR_TYPE=$(GAMEEDITOR_PROFESSIONAL)
Then you need to do a "make clean" before you run "make" again.(hint, the script I made just runs make for you, it doesn't clean)
Last edited by eyecreate on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyecreate

Postby tarice » Mon May 04, 2009 9:44 pm

can someone give me a copy of raknet 3.3?
tarice

PreviousNext

Return to General