City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Talk about making games.

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby Zivouhr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:09 am

makslane wrote:Congratulations for your game, an thanks for making it with Game Editor.

Zivouhr wrote:The only thing I really was wishing for was the update for game editor to allow for resizing the window of the game screen, but I haven't heard back from Skydereign yet, understandably as he has college and other obligations in life and I know programming is not a 123 fast process.

The fixed screen size limitation is an old concern of mine.
To many ideas to solve, but none implemented, sorry.

A possible solution, for a desktop game with score and other screen info actors, is to position this actors based on width and height of the view actor.
But this need changes in Game Editor code to let game engine knows the desktop resolution.

A possible workaround now, is to choose a popular resolution you know will works on all platforms (may be 1920x1080), and make the game fullscreen.

PS.: The guys here still great :-)

Thanks a lot Makslane!

I appreciate what you have created with Game-Editor as a great 2D game software creation program for PC, Mac and Linux. It's a fun program to use and learning about the more basic C language is a good challenge that can be applied to learning more complex things later on.
I agree, the forum members here have been very helpful for offering useful tips and skills on how to make things work. I have read some of your tips from previous years also, thank you.

I was able to get in contact with Skydereign, who is also a skilled programmer in my opinion, and he may have an updated version soon, though not with the resizing support for Mac. Hopefully soon as the February 2016 estimate for the new update has passed.

Thanks again and it's great to see you revisit the forum. What new projects are you working on these days? Any new games or programming stuff? 8)
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby skydereign » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:20 am

Zivouhr wrote:I was able to get in contact with Skydereign, who is also a skilled programmer in my opinion, and he may have an updated version soon, though not with the resizing support for Mac. Hopefully soon as the February 2016 estimate for the new update has passed.

Resizing works on mac, you just can't use fullscreen otherwise it freezes. I'll set up my old macbook again and get that version built this weekend. I have not tested it with other mac machines though, and I'm sure mine is not on the current os, so hopefully there won't be any problems.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:50 pm

skydereign wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:I was able to get in contact with Skydereign, who is also a skilled programmer in my opinion, and he may have an updated version soon, though not with the resizing support for Mac. Hopefully soon as the February 2016 estimate for the new update has passed.

Resizing works on mac, you just can't use fullscreen otherwise it freezes. I'll set up my old macbook again and get that version built this weekend. I have not tested it with other mac machines though, and I'm sure mine is not on the current os, so hopefully there won't be any problems.

That sounds promising, thanks Skydereign.
Resizing it by dragging the lower right corner while in game would be very welcome even if it's not fullscreen mode. This way if the gamer has 1080p setting, they could stretch it out to that size to fill most of the screen. The default resolution for the game is 720 right now, to fill up the screen in window mode with a computer set at 720p.
If I can get a test version to try out the updated window resize mode for Mac/PC/Linux, that would be great. Thank you. 8)
Zivouhr

Postby skydereign » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 pm

So the export option for mac is having some problems, hence the delay. Also I haven't implemented it to allow dragging the window size, that might be a quick thing to do, but if it isn't you'll have to have an in game method of changing the screen size.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:13 pm

skydereign wrote:So the export option for mac is having some problems, hence the delay. Also I haven't implemented it to allow dragging the window size, that might be a quick thing to do, but if it isn't you'll have to have an in game method of changing the screen size.

Thanks for the update Skydereign and for your efforts. Looking forward to how it turns out. Hopefully the window dragging option is a possibility.
Zivouhr

Postby Zivouhr » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:27 am

Update:
The game is nearing completion with 8 stages instead of the 5 that were going to be settled for until this game got the go ahead on Steam. Just have to finish a few more bosses, add some extra things, fine tune some stuff and then submit it for review for Steam to test out, and about that steam key coding too. The game is so far about .5 GB in size, due to the amount of graphics. It's still a single player game even though I will try a few more tests, but the programming is a tangled web all interconnected and dependent on each line of code. Programming is a fun challenge even if things rarely go according to plan the first time.
Zivouhr

Postby Zivouhr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:24 pm

As mentioned before, you can choose between 3 playable characters for a single player game. If there was a fast way to duplicate the 1 player character with a separate 2nd player, I would offer it, but because the 1st player has hundreds of varying interactions with many different enemies and objects in the game, the task of creating a 2nd player this late in the process would require a lot more time. I do have some other ideas that I'll test out though just in case.
---------
As far as progress, I just finished programming in the final boss.
Zivouhr

UPDATE: Game Complete December 21, 2016

Postby Zivouhr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:15 am

UPDATE: Game Complete December 21, 2016

I managed to add a co-op 2 player mode in there, though it has different characters (playable zombie, enemy and an orb) that aren't as taxing as the main 3 characters.

The Steam key integration process is the real test. Hopefully it goes to plan and everything gets approved by Valve/steampowered.com.

Thanks again for the tips! 8)

UPDATE: January 13, 2017:

After being approved and getting access to Steamworks Development tools, I was having a tough time figuring out the set up to get everything working, but at last I got the Mac version running with the Steampowered client game player and it's working perfectly as planned. What a relief to finally be at this stage. Next, I have to set up the PC, Linux versions, then see if I can figure out how to add Steam Achievements, which would be cool.

Bottomline, a Game Editor game can work on Steam for all of you programmer/artists. I didn't get any error messages either to my relief so far. I have to set up the store page, price and so on, but I plan to have the game released by March 2017. It'll be a low cost game as planned. 8)

Thanks again for the tips! I mention the Game Editor forum in the end credits as a special thank you.

UPDATE: January 15, 2017:
Finally got the Mac, PC and Linux builds successfully loaded onto Steam, though not available yet till I set up the store. Each game is about 500 MB, but it may be compressed to 300+ MB from the look of it, not sure yet.

As far as the game, it's undergone a lot of polish and refinement since the demo version was released, so it's generally a better experience overall as far as a fighting brawler action game goes. 8 levels confirmed, and the game is officially completed, with lots of testing and fixes to make sure it plays as I want it to.

-----------------------------------
UPDATE: January 21, 2017

Below includes the features included in City of Rott: Streets of Rott, planned for a February 2017 release pending final approval.

-------------------------------------------
CITY OF ROTT: STREETS OF ROTT (Planned for February 14, 2017 on Valve's Steam Store) (if this date changes, I'll post the news)
Brawl your way through hordes of decay in the Streets of Rott, an
arcade style, side-scrolling beat ‘em up.

(Choose your character, on the Steam Store page, these will have pictures included in the description)

FRED
- An old, cranky dude with the skills of Walker Fu. Slow but tough.

MAX
- One who never gives up, Max carves his way through with his circular saw.

SARAH
- With hidden powers, Sarah uses her energy blades and fast speed.

STALKER OF THE OTHERWORLD
- The Evil Entity in charge of the Rotters.

ROTTER
- One of many varieties of the rabid, slow, mindless living dead.

CITY OF ROTT: STREETS OF ROTT
Only you can bring peace to the City of Rott: Streets of Rott.
Includes Single Player, Co-op Cheat Mode, Remix Mode and more.
FEATURES INCLUDE:

Eight arcade levels of brawler mayhem, each with a tough end boss.
Fun, challenging, action packed beat 'em up gameplay inspired by the classics.
Easily perform a full set of 11 unique attack moves per character including the Rage Attack.

3 playable main characters to choose from, each with unique fighting moves.
3 separate, alternative Co-Op characters to pick in the Co-Op Cheat Mode.
3 unique vehicles to ride. A clunky car, a revving sportbike, and a slick skateboard.
Freedom. Freely Walk or Drive east or west per level. Hop in and out of available vehicles.
Use objects to your advantage. Explosive junk cars, bashing barrels and more.

Remix Mode randomizes the level order, colors and music for fresh replay value.
Practice Mode lets you test out your moves, battle a friend and... well, practice.
Many Rotter enemy types to defeat with your ready skills, found vehicles and weapons.
Pulse pounding Electronica Industrial soundtrack by F. Sudol.

Power ups include handguns, shotguns, machine guns, explosives, shovels, shields.
3 Difficulty modes including Easy, Normal and Hard.
Options let you play the sound track, adjust game options, turn off the timer, add lives and more.
Endless Continues if you need them, just like in the Arcades.

Detailed, colorful illustrated graphics and cartoon animations.
Animated cartoon blood & gore and cartoon violence.
HD 720p fills screen, medium window view with 1080p HD.
Character audio voices share their thoughts after each stage.
Includes player movement through W,A,S,D or Arrow Keys, your choice.
Entire game created by F. Sudol, creator of the City of Rott animated horror movies.
Game programmed from scratch on Game Editor, a C based 2D game creation software.

----------------------------------------------
Zivouhr

Re: City of Rott Game - Steam Store Page now Live!

Postby Zivouhr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:32 am

Cool News:

CORsteamstorepreview2017b.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/580880
Here's the Steam Store Page for the game, created on Game Editor. 8)
Zivouhr

Postby MrJolteon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 am

might pick it up when it's out just to support you :)
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby juansimat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:38 am

Zivouhr wrote:Cool News:

Great! Only 2 small observations, try to quit the MAC bars in the video and photos so you show only the game and I think that the HUD can be improved.
But seriously, overall is great. I wish you all the best, good luck. :wink:

MrJolteon wrote:might pick it up when it's out just to support you :)

Don't just pick up for him, pick it up for you. :P
̿̿¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(๏̯͡๏)=ε
juansimat

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks a lot, MrJolteon.

juansimat wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:Cool News:

Great! Only 2 small observations, try to quit the MAC bars in the video and photos so you show only the game and I think that the HUD can be improved.
But seriously, overall is great. I wish you all the best, good luck. :wink:

Don't just pick up for him, pick it up for you. :P

Thanks for the tips Juan. I'll keep it in mind.
Zivouhr

Postby Turon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

Congrats Zivouhr, I definately get it on Steam when it's out! Does the fact that it plays through the steam play mean the resolution is more adjustable?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 am

Turon wrote:Congrats Zivouhr, I definately get it on Steam when it's out! Does the fact that it plays through the steam play mean the resolution is more adjustable?

Thanks a lot, Turon. The windowed version is the one I went with, since in window mode, it can be played at any resolution, while if it was in full screen, I noticed with Game Editor, it restricts it to only that 1 resolution. The filled screen you see with the window mode is at HD 720p, while the 1080p will show a medium sized window in full HD. Thanks!

-------------------
Great news, the game (PC, Mac and Linux) was just reviewed and approved by Steam (for all 3 versions). I can release the game now as they passed it thankfully. What a relief. 8) Implementing the game onto Steam was very complex but I finally got it after 2 days of trial and error (since the Steam instructions were written for PCs, not Macs). February 14, 2017 is the goal release date.

------------
UPDATE: January 30, 2017: The price for Streets of Rott on Steam will be $2.99, translated around that value for other countries too. I want to keep the price lower considering the huge selection of other games available on Steam, and to be fair since it's a smaller digital game. Completion time per character is about 1 hour and 20+ minutes, give or take, x3 characters. With the timer shut off, unlimited time. Each character has their own unique short ending, then standard ending credits with some character animations. You can also remix the levels in Remix mode, which starts with a random level, then adds random background colors and a random music track per level till you complete the game.

Easy mode is just to get through the game for casual gamers and beginners.
Normal mode, I often just manage to make it through the game with 1 or 2 lives left on the original game, no continues.
Hard mode, is very tough, and I have to continue often. You don't have any health regeneration, no powershots, enemies are stronger, more of them and very strong bosses. It's a punishing difficulty.

There are endless continues if you decide you need them. I'm not a fan of limited continues in games since not every one has the time to start over again and again. When you continue, you pick up right where you left off. You don't have to go back to the start of the level.
Zivouhr

Re: City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Postby speckford123 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Oh hey, looks great!
Also, glad I was able to help 2 years ago, I just now noticed the reply, haha.
speckford123

Score: 49 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development