Agent Dan Development thread

Talk about making games.

Agent Dan Development thread

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:00 pm

Hello everyone. It's officaly the summer holidays Image Image Image So I'm working on a new game called Agent Dan.

The game is about an Agent called Dan joins a team called D.A.N like his name. He becomes the boss and has to defeat the crime lords of the city.
I haven't planned out the levels yet, but I'm aiming for about 60 or 30. There is a story line and clipmovies and an arcade survival. The arcade survival would kind of be a game of it's own with lots of powerups to use and new levels to buy. I am planning on selling this in steam and advertising it on gamejolt. But....

The reason I started this development topic is because you guys have a lot of awesome ideas and you guys might take more intrest if your ideas are in it. I only mean small ideas, not big ones that will change the game completely. (eg. Lets change the genre to puzzle). I would give a copy to all of ge but I don't really get on with one or three people (I won't name and shame em). What do you guys think about free copys?

Anyway...

I haven't got any graphics or engines done for this yet but the story is 50% complete.
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Re: Agent Dan Development thread

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:52 pm

TL;DR: I can do some graphics that does not involve human characters.

I could do some graphics (I can't draw, or animate, humans).
Also, this idea sounds like it would work better as an RPG, and not as a level-based platformer which is what I got the impression that this would be.
I will not, however, help with getting it greenlit on Steam in the extremely unlikely event that this project would succeed.

I can also set up a shared folder on one of the following cloud storage services:
Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

Some points for consideration about the project:
The agency name is very uncreative. Either change it, or the main character's name.
Getting a game greenlit on Steam is, as I've understood it, extremely difficult for very small indie games such as this.
Advertising on GameJolt could work, if it was a quality ad.
The arcade, if done correctly, could be a good idea. If we go down the top-down RPG road, it could be accessed from within the game world.
If we do decide to go down the top-down RPG road, we could have multiple towns (and possibly one or more main city/cities) with a bit of countryside in between.

Please, feel free to discuss these points.

~
Last edited by MrJolteon on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 pm

MrJolteon wrote:TL;DR: I can do some graphics that does not involve human characters.

Also, this idea sounds like it would work better as an RPG, and not as a level-based platformer which is what I got the impression that this would be.
I will not, however, help with getting it greenlit on Steam in the extremely unlikely event that this project would succeed.

I can also set up a shared folder on one of the following cloud storage services:
Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

The agency name is very uncreative. Either change it, or the main character's name.
Getting a game greenlit on Steam is, as I've understood it, extremely difficult for very small indie games such as this.
The arcade, if done correctly, could be a good idea. If we go down the top-down RPG road, it could be accessed from within the game world.
If we do decide to go down the top-down RPG road, we could have multiple towns (and possibly one or more main city/cities) with a bit of countryside in between.

~

The genre is platformer so I won't change that.
Agent dan won't be the name of the game. Thats only what I thought for now.

And for sharing files.

About that h.a.c.k.i.n.g issue...

Sorry but it will take a while to trust you again.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:23 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:TL;DR: I can do some graphics that does not involve human characters.

Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

~

And for sharing files.

You still don't trust me, despite my complete lack of hacking skills.
The closest thing I've ever gotten to hacking people myself is playing Watch Dogs.

But since you're that stubborn, I'm out.
~
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:30 pm

MrJolteon wrote:

Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

~

And for sharing files.

The closest thing I've ever gotten to hacking people myself is playing Watch Dogs.

~

Don't you think I have a right not to trust you? You would send me a link that would let some other hacker wipe my pc. So yeah.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 pm

MrJolteon wrote:

Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

~

And for sharing files.

~

Don't you think I have a right not to trust you? You would send me a link that would let some other hacker wipe my pc. So yeah.

Except maybe you should consider how skilled the guy that hacked you is? He could just as easily have hijacked my computer and used it to infect your computer.

But clearly, you don't want my help. Don't expect me to support this project in any way besides providing large amounts of extreme pessimism until you manage to produce something that can be called a game.
So go ahead, add me to the developer list:
MrJolteon - Lead Pessimist
~
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:45 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:

Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

~

And for sharing files.

~

Except maybe you should consider how skilled the guy that hacked you is? He could just as easily have hijacked my computer and used it to infect your computer.

But clearly, you don't want my help. Don't expect me to support this project in any way besides providing large amounts of extreme pessimism until you manage to produce something that can be called a game.
~

Oh I can make a game alright. Check out car escape. It has 893 views and 103 downloads. Thats great considering I am a newb at game making. Them downloads don't mean my games are crap. One person shared that and another person shared that and so on. You think this project will fail? If you think that for all projects then thats why 50% of it failed!!
knucklecrunchgames

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:52 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:

Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

~

And for sharing files.

~

~

Oh I can make a game alright. Check out car escape. It has 893 views and 103 downloads. Thats great considering I am a newb at game making. Them downloads don't mean my games are crap. One person shared that and another person shared that and so on. You think this project will fail? If you think that for all projects then thats why 50% of it failed!!

And you obviously don't know what I mean by "fail".
Also, views and downloads aren't everything.
And not to brag, but Free City, despite not even being in beta, has over 4000 views and 1454 downloads on GameJolt, and an average rating of 4.1. It used to have a perfect score of 5, but then the trolls started coming.

But knowing you, statistically this project has a 0% chance of ever starting.
~
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:25 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:

Dropbox
Copy
Google Drive

~

And for sharing files.

~

~

And you obviously don't know what I mean by "fail".
Also, views and downloads aren't everything.
And not to brag, but Free City, despite not even being in beta, has over 4000 views and 1454 downloads on GameJolt, and an average rating of 4.1. It used to have a perfect score of 5, but then the trolls started coming.

But knowing you, statistically this project has a 0% chance of ever starting.
~

Of course free city will get more views for three reasons.
One: It's been out longer on gamejolt
Two: It was developed by more than one person
Three: You guys have more experience than me.

Also if downloads and views aren't everything? then why brag about that crappy game of yours.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby thecpu » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:04 am

Let me walk you through how to get a game on Steam.

• Develop a very good game
  • Gain $100 + a $500 developer registration fee
  • Integrate the Steam API into your game, which as it stands right now would be impossible for you to do, as it requires an extremely advanced knowledge of C to use the API in a game that is notdesigned for it
  • Send a final version to the Steam registration team
  • Get your game on greenlight, where it must receive over 16-17,000 to get in top the top 100 where people will start voting on it, and 50,000 votes where it will be considered to go on sale.
  • Hire somebody in PR to read over game reviews, suggestions, etc. so that your game will be polished before initial sale
  • Sell version 1 of the game
  • Take the hate that will come from others that don't like your game
  • See if people will actually buy your game
  • Pay monthly fees for having your game on Steam
  • Profit

Best of luck.
Application and Web Programming at Jarooda Games
thecpu

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:38 am

knuckle, wtf are you starting this? Jolt was more than happy to help you, and calling another person's game crap after all the dedication they put into it, when it obviously isn't for a game made by GE, that can be considered harassing. Basically, you guys could try out the M.A.D treaty on each other, and get each other banned, but I don't know if Jolt will when you started this after he did nothing to insult your game, and he seemed genuinely happy to help you with this game, until your reply. We, as a community, must support each other, not bash each other, it sickens me, disturbs me, saddens me. Views and Downloads don't mean everything, but they do mean something, but I think the main thing we should look at is your average score (feel free to take out the top 2 reviews, and bottom 2 reviews, maybe even more if you have a lot more reviews, to create a more accurate average), the mode of the scores, the median, and the range to see if the game is consistent among the boards.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:42 am

here is exact stats of this game in terms of ratings, car escape, according to the people, it got a 2.7/5, equivalent of a 54/100, but to be fair, since there is 7 reviews, you should see your lowest score and your highest score, and take them out of the equation and find a new average.
http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/car-escape/25516/
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:14 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:knuckle, wtf are you starting this? Jolt was more than happy to help you, and calling another person's game crap after all the dedication they put into it, when it obviously isn't for a game made by GE, that can be considered harassing. Basically, you guys could try out the M.A.D treaty on each other, and get each other banned, but I don't know if Jolt will when you started this after he did nothing to insult your game, and he seemed genuinely happy to help you with this game, until your reply. We, as a community, must support each other, not bash each other, it sickens me, disturbs me, saddens me. Views and Downloads don't mean everything, but they do mean something, but I think the main thing we should look
at is your average score (feel free to take out the top 2 reviews, and bottom 2 reviews, maybe even more if you have a lot more reviews, to create a more accurate average), the mode of the scores, the median, and the range to see if the game is consistent among the boards.

For gods sake! You always take jolts side! I know he was more than happy to help but I didn't trust him because he hacked me! Are you that thick not to understand that.

@all. For now on jolt is dead to me.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:15 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:here is exact stats of this game in terms of ratings, car escape, according to the people, it got a 2.7/5, equivalent of a 54/100, but to be fair, since there is 7 reviews, you should see your lowest score and your highest score, and take them out of the equation and find a new average.
http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/car-escape/25516/

This was getting quite a lot of positive scores but when jolt got envolved then it started dropping.
knucklecrunchgames

Return to Game Development