Level-Based Resource and Event Manager

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Level-Based Resource and Event Manager

Postby Spectrogram » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Just a suggestion I'd really appreciate if you took into consideration is a level-based resource and event manager.

Here's what I've been thinking...
A resource (graphics/sounds) and event manager that worked in a level-based environment, where a developer could create the game in sections like levels.
This would be so that the resources, but more especially the events would be nicely organized, instead of into one massive list.
It could work in a way that there is a menu option for 'create new level' and a script command that would send the gameplay to that level, just like sending it to a .ged.
Just like the 'Script' button in the menu bar there could be a 'Resource Manager' button that would take you into an organized menu based on your created levels.
Of course if the developer only wanted one level, they wouldn't have to create more of them.

And yes, if one is facing the problem of a really cluttered game file, they could use more than one .ged to expand their game, but I think that this would make things much simpler and much more organized, and one wouldn't have to duplicate recursive files like player sprites, reused textures and things like menus and sounds.

Thanks for thinking about it! :)
Spectrogram

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Re: Level-Based Resource and Event Manager

Postby Turon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm

I'd agree that measure could be taken to organize the events more neatly. Though do you know how activation regions work? They are one of the most common ways levels are devided up, they look a lot like wireframe actors. Just that they're orange...
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby Spectrogram » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm still getting the hang of the Activation Events and thus am a bit foggy with them.
I am still learning the works of GameEditor, but learning quite well nevertheless.

My suggestion was, so that when you clicked "Scripts" there would be a more organized menu rather than just a massive list of events.
Spectrogram

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:41 am

I was thinking, what if you could name activation regions as you do actor? Then you could assign scripts to as specific region. Oo what if you could name scripts?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests