gE features

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Re: gE features

Postby skydereign » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah, definitely keep using this topic for feature requests. It makes my job a lot easier. We have two options though, perhaps even doing both, but the first and from what I've heard as far as requests is to have exterior editor support. The other is to improve the current script editor. It'd be nice to have both, but currently the more desired (from posts) is exterior editor support.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Fojam » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:50 pm

To be able to make an object class in ge would be awesome. Also, is network/multiplayer support in the works? And if so, when is it going to be implimented?

Also, a log window in the editor would be so helpful for when im debugging
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Super Smash Bros: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12307 PLEASE help by making sprites!
Fojam

Score: 69 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Switching actors to classes would be a lot of work. It'd be extremely helpful, but as of now not very practical. Networking was being looked at a year or two ago, but currently no one is working on it. Lastly the log window I believe is very similar to the new interface's debugging system, but no one is working on that either. For now we have to make do with using fprintf for logs.
skydereign

Postby Fojam » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 pm

I think networking should be a higher priority, considering nowadays most people buy games for the online multiplayer
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Super Smash Bros: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12307 PLEASE help by making sprites!
Fojam

Score: 69 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Well if we can find someone with the time and knowhow to get it done, of course we'd do it. It isn't like we think it shouldn't be a priority (it is). But, it simply isn't in the cards right now. makslane still fixes bugs here and there, but doesn't have the time to work on gE like before (makslane was the one who was trying to setup networking). akr (though also very busy) is working on getting 1.5 finished, a lot of work has been put into getting 1.5 ready, and it wouldn't make sense to push it back any further than necessary. Also a new geapp/geplayer needs to be created to fix the current issues with iphone development. All of that disregarding android. And my current skill set only extends to adding things to the editor experience. So while there are many many things we'd want to be able to add, networking functionality being one of the most desired, we just don't have the time or manpower to implement them.
skydereign

Postby Kalladdolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 pm

There are a few basic requirements for a good desktop indie game which Game Editor doesn't yet cover (and which I and many others have ignored so far).
But I've learned they are essential for first impressions and general performance; I think they should be top priority. No matter how good your game is per se, it will not be successful if it doesn't provide the following:

- Changeable resolution in-game.
With the current range of monitors on the market, it is near impossible to cover everyone's requirement with just one predefined resolution. Common retro-resolutions will simply not run on a 27" screen if you're using fullscreen.
Being able to toggle between windowed mode and full resolution in-game is also vital. If for no other reason... people might want to record footage of your game and spread the word.

- Fully rebindable controls.
There are many more people out there than we think who are used to the strangest control configurations (not just the standard WASD / Arrow control sets) and yet are very good at what they're doing. Everyone should be able to adjust the controls to their own personal preference, which they are comfortable with. It is currently possible to offer some basic sets of different controls, but fully customizing them is lacking as far as I'm aware.

In general, game reviewers and basically everyone pay a lot of attention to how smooth and presentable your game is and the above things are essential. More so, if the game enters the commercial realm of things.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Kalladdolf wrote:- Fully rebindable controls.
There are many more people out there than we think who are used to the strangest control configurations (not just the standard WASD / Arrow control sets) and yet are very good at what they're doing. Everyone should be able to adjust the controls to their own personal preference, which they are comfortable with. It is currently possible to offer some basic sets of different controls, but fully customizing them is lacking as far as I'm aware.

We do have the remap key function, which does work for creating custom controls.
skydereign

Postby Kalladdolf » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:34 am

Good to hear!
I must've missed something there.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm

1. get pixel information

A getpixel() function to retrieve the color/alpha for a given pixel at x,y co-ordinates. You could implement this by parsing the x,y co-ordinates along with pointers given by caller to store the red, green, blue and alpha values for the pixel.

gE function:
Code: Select all
void getpixel (int x, int y, int * red, int * green, int * blue, double * alpha)
{
    //code retrieves pixel info. at x,y and stores them in addresses supplied by function call ( * red, *green, *blue, *alpha) 

User would call with:
getpixel (123, 24, &itsRed, &itsBlue, &itsGreen, &itsAlpha);

2. Allow script editor window to be resized.

Would be good to be able to enlarge script window to full screen size to edit code more easily without having to mess around with scrolling across and all.

3. Canvass size and position

Allowing canvass width & height to be sized and moved during runtime would be really useful. Something like:-
void updateCanvass(Actor * canvassName, int x, int y, int width, int height)
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 am

GEuser wrote:2. Allow script editor window to be resized.

Would be good to be able to enlarge script window to full screen size to edit code more easily without having to mess around with scrolling across and all.

I actually have had this one done for a month or so. Sadly we won't be making any updates until 1.5, so it will be a while.
skydereign

Postby moonforge » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey guys!
I had this great idea to add to gE features. Here it is:

Changing the framerate of paths, AFTER you've made them. I've come across the problem multiple times, where when you make a path, test it out, and find out that the actor is just a little too fast, or a little too slow. Then, you have to recreate the WHOLE path, and change the framerate again. Then, if that doesn't work, you repeat the process. I figure that adding something to change the framerate of a path already made would be a useful addition to gE.
http://wannowandrichardsgames.weebly.com/

"You don't have to win to be a winner. You just have to pretend to be better than everyone else."

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Mon May 27, 2013 12:50 am

This should be a simple one!

I'm working with massive amounts of graphics right now so i have tons of tilesets's would be awesome if i could name them t0-t79 and use the multiple files option but be able to specify how many tiles are in each image like if each tileset is 512x512 pixels giving you a 16x16 image of 32x32 tiles..

Because trying to stuff them all into one big tileset or splitting them into 32x32 pixel single images would be a waste of time honestly..
"Taking a breath of fresh air."
AliceXIII

Score: 37 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon May 27, 2013 4:03 am

AliceXIII wrote:This should be a simple one!

I'm working with massive amounts of graphics right now so i have tons of tilesets's would be awesome if i could name them t0-t79 and use the multiple files option but be able to specify how many tiles are in each image like if each tileset is 512x512 pixels giving you a 16x16 image of 32x32 tiles..

Because trying to stuff them all into one big tileset or splitting them into 32x32 pixel single images would be a waste of time honestly..

So you want to be able to use multiple files and frame splitting for a single animation? For now, you can just run a script to split the files into pieces, or merge them.
skydereign

Postby AliceXIII » Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 pm

well i have 79 tileset images right now and they are separated in groups by their 5 varying resolutions: 4-256x512 px, 5-384x384 px, 4-512x256 px, 3-512x384 px, 8-512x480 px, and 55-512x512 px

now i have them named in sequential order like so t8x16-0 the t standing for tile 8x16 being how many 32x32 tiles fit in the image and -0,-1,-2 being the sequentially read number.

it would be great if i could attach all the t8x16's or t16x16's as multiple images even though they are sheets and just specify how many tiles to split them in, i could program my own way of splitting it but in the long run i think it would be more efficient to just have the option native to GE.
AliceXIII

Postby AliceXIII » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:59 pm

APNG support.

Example here : http://people.mozilla.com/~dolske/apng/demo.html

If you have chrome Google "apng chrome" first link and download the apng support app (may have to refresh pages after downloaded)and check the demo's out!

Someones made a patch for the libpng file here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng-apng/?source=dlp

I was going to try and implement it in myself cause it shouldn't be hard most the support's already there but i got this error:
Warning: Can't synchronize with the repository (The 'repository_dir' has changed, a 'trac-admin resync' operation is needed.). Look in the Trac log for more information.

When trying to get the svn command.
AliceXIII

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests