gE 1.4.1

Learn how to start making games.

Re: gE 1.4.1

Postby speckford123 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 pm

skydereign wrote:On another note, the windows build is done but I'm not going to upload it publicly for now.

Why must you tease us so.

Haha, no problem, glad to hear that it's finished at least.
Doing some testing before you release it?
speckford123

Score: 49 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 am

speckford123 wrote:
skydereign wrote:On another note, the windows build is done but I'm not going to upload it publicly for now.

Probably counting the number of errors.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby PookDGuru » Fri May 15, 2015 7:55 am

Awesome! Good to hear :D
Check out Advent: Deep Space!
PookDGuru

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun May 17, 2015 2:51 am

speckford123 wrote:

No, I've already tested it and aside from one non-critical bug with colors that was introduced it's shippable. bat78 captured my current sentiment pretty well in that argument the other day.
bat78 wrote:Once I was open to develop everything for everyone.. but then I realized this is not a community of game developers anymore.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sun May 17, 2015 5:51 am

Well I'd consider myself some sort of game developer, grant it I'm the worst coder of my era.
bat78 wrote:Once I was open to develop everything for everyone.. but then I realized this is not a community of game developers anymore.
What kind of community is this?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 am

Turon, the words won't make you anything. Actions do.
If one is not capable of developing a game (pity) then maybe he/(she) could at least leave a cns. (A software review, similar to Jolteon's before time).
Instead, the dominating comment here is: "Great game keep it up :D", which is a sort of comment I would leave in a random game I've play'd on the internet.
Even worse the massive luxuriance of off-topic comments and even posts. And it is getting only worse. This is by far the very worst representation of a "Community of Game Developers" I've ever encountered. What kind of community is this - does not matter doesn't it.
bat78

Postby speckford123 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:23 am

Yeah, I've been here for almost 9 years now.
And I'll admit, the community isn't as much as it used to be.

I mean, I remember when there was a forum chat advertised on the front page that people went to on a regular basis
But a lot of our regular members got busy with other things and drifted away, and we haven't really been able to attract new people.
But I can't blame them, a lot of people I speak to don't even knows this program exists.

I'm pretty guilty about being a bad community member too, I mean, I do make games and I post them to online fans, but I don't really post them here, because I don't feel like anyone is here that wants to see them.
But I love game editor, and it's obvious that I'm excited about updates to it, but I do miss when we had a minimum of 10 people logged in at a time.

I hope we can someday soon get a nice little community here again, I mean, RPG maker shouldn't be so much more popular than we are here, haha.
I should start by advertising the program to my online followers.

I would still call the forums a game design community, just not so much a game editor family at the moment.
speckford123

Postby bat78 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:35 am

speckford123 wrote:Yeah, I've been here for almost 9 years now.
And I'll admit, the community isn't as much as it used to be.

I mean, I remember when there was a forum chat advertised on the front page that people went to on a regular basis
But a lot of our regular members got busy with other things and drifted away, and we haven't really been able to attract new people.
But I can't blame them, a lot of people I speak to don't even knows this program exists.

I'm pretty guilty about being a bad community member too, I mean, I do make games and I post them to online fans, but I don't really post them here, because I don't feel like anyone is here that wants to see them.
But I love game editor, and it's obvious that I'm excited about updates to it, but I do miss when we had a minimum of 10 people logged in at a time.

I hope we can someday soon get a nice little community here again, I mean, RPG maker shouldn't be so much more popular than we are here, haha.
I should start by advertising the program to my online followers.

I would still call the forums a game design community, just not so much a game editor family at the moment.

Everyone would like to see your games or projects actually.
And yes it is a "Community.." indeed, but off-topic posts is getting > game discussion/development.. so I wouldn't call it - ".. of Game Developers" by that point of consideration.
bat78

Postby digiot » Mon May 18, 2015 3:47 pm

@ Sky: And now ???
So you are developing GE for your own purposes ?
But you told once, you are not using GE anymore...

And now you expect us to kinda rebuild a community, before you release ?
Is that the reason, you posted in "Getting Started" ?

Seriously, what are your plans now ?
When you don't want to release publicly and not for everyone,
how and for whom will you ?
Or do you want to cancel GE development at all ?

That would be really sad ! Me and many others, who have their projects tailored for
GE, then either had to use an old GE version, or had to look for annother engine.
Surely, that is not what you are intending...

My hope is, we get this dissent cleared, and GE 1.4.1 finally released !

P.S.: You told, that you have to use others computers. Why don't you multiboot
on yours ?

@ bat78 : Contrary to your pessimistic view, in the last few months I noticed
a relativ constructive, nice on-topic posting here on the forum.

@ speckford123 :
...because I don't feel like anyone is here that wants to see them.

Like you said, just a feeling, you can't post enough games here !

Cheers !
digiot

Score: 7 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue May 19, 2015 1:04 am

bat78 wrote:Even worse the massive luxuriance of off-topic comments and even posts. And it is getting only worse. This is by far the very worst representation of a "Community of Game Developers" I've ever encountered. What kind of community is this - does not matter doesn't it.

Actually that isn't my problem. A community can have off topic discussions and still be on topic. My problem with calling the gameEditor forums a game development community right now is that people are being belittled for developing games. To me at least, a game development community is a group of people interested in creating games and supporting each other in that endeavour. The reason I stuck around to work on gameEditor was that the forums were a great welcoming place for people new to game programming to learn and share what they made. With a few of the recent topics and arguments it is pretty clear that that is no longer true.

digiot wrote:@ Sky: And now ???
So you are developing GE for your own purposes ?
But you told once, you are not using GE anymore...

I don't use gE, but my plans were, and still are, to make it a tool that I would use.

digiot wrote:Seriously, what are your plans now ?
When you don't want to release publicly and not for everyone,
how and for whom will you ?
Or do you want to cancel GE development at all ?

That would be really sad ! Me and many others, who have their projects tailored for
GE, then either had to use an old GE version, or had to look for annother engine.
Surely, that is not what you are intending...

I'm still going to release 1.4.1 publicly.

digiot wrote:P.S.: You told, that you have to use others computers. Why don't you multiboot
on yours ?

I have, but I don't use ubuntu. Previously when my macbook was working that was triple-booted to run fedora, osx, and windows 7. And now that it isn't my current computer is running windows and fedora. Virtual machines are also an option, but since I do know a person that is willing to let me test gE on their ubuntu machine it's the option with the least hassle for me.
skydereign

Postby bat78 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:20 am

Actually that isn't my problem. A community can have off topic discussions and still be on topic. My problem with calling the gameEditor forums a game development community right now is that people are being belittled for developing games. To me at least, a game development community is a group of people interested in creating games and supporting each other in that endeavour. The reason I stuck around to work on gameEditor was that the forums were a great welcoming place for people new to game programming to learn and share what they made. With a few of the recent topics and arguments it is pretty clear that that is no longer true.

Umm okay. Here's the thing.. I wasn't aiming at your problems skydereign. These clearly affect me you know.. videlicet bat78. I do not know why and how that came across to your mind on a first place.. but I do believe that it wasn't because you felt ..alone in the world.
Last edited by bat78 on Tue May 19, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bat78

Postby skydereign » Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 am

bat78 wrote:

Umm okay. Here's the thing.. I wasn't aiming at your problems, but mine. I do not know why and how that came across to your mind on a first place.. but I do believe that it wasn't because you felt ..alone in the world.

I'm aware that what you were saying wasn't about my views with the community. I was simply using your response as a way of describing how our views differ.
skydereign

Postby bat78 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 am

The part containing "Actually, this isn't my problem" is certainly unneeded then.
bat78

Postby speckford123 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:16 am

Well, I can post some of my games here, could be fun to get some feedback since I'm awful at writing a story for games, haha

Oh, and will the new version be compatible with old files?
I was thinking of making a game with small sprites but didn't want to start it if I couldn't apply the sprite scaling afterwards

hopefully a demo of that GE protocol is released soon too, I could make a pixel fighter and challenge you guys to bouts, haha
speckford123

Postby skydereign » Tue May 19, 2015 9:28 am

speckford123 wrote:Oh, and will the new version be compatible with old files?

Yes you can load geds from older versions.
skydereign

PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started