[Solved] How To Compile 1.4 Source on Windows 7

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

[Solved] How To Compile 1.4 Source on Windows 7

Postby Lokaar » Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm

DOWNLOADS:
Game Editor 1.4 Stable Source
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express edition is free, but it appears Microsoft has stopped supporting it on their website, so you will have to find a torrent to download it, because I can't find an official download link to it anywhere anymore.
Direct X SDK

1. Install the Microsoft Direct X SDK (versions are backward compatible)
2. Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express (Because these directions wont make sense otherwise)
2a. Where you unzip the source, in the base directory, open GameEditor.sln
3. In vc++, go to Tools > Options... > Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories >
3a. In the top right of the window, there is a drop down menu labeled: "Show directories for:", just drop it down and choose "Include Files" then, in the rows of directories below it, the last row is an empty entry, you can click in it to type in a directory or push the [...] button on the right to browse to the directory
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include" could be different on your system, but that's where it is on a fresh install with no changes.
3b. Same thing, but in "Show directories for:" change the drop down menu to "Library files", and add the directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86" notice that last x86 directory, I hear that's a new change, so don't forget that.
4. Close the options window by pushing OK (not clicking the X) and find the left panel titled "Solution explorer" at the top, with 3 tabs along the bottom of it, named: Solution Explorer, Class View, Property Manager, and select the property manager.
5. In the Property Manager, expand the "GameEditor" item, Release | Win32, then double click on _BaseConfiguration.
6. This opens the "_BaseConfiguration Property Pages" dialog window, now in the left tree panel "Common Properties", select the "User Macros" option, at the bottom where it says "Version Type" and it's value is "$(Professional)", double click the value field and change it to "$(Standalone_Pro)", this enables the compiling of the gameEditorWindows bin file, which isn't needed now.

NOTE: on my system, on windows 7 32-bit, setting this build configuration user macro breaks the build and game editor launches to a black screen and a frozen process, keeping the value at Professional lets the project exe build successfully and the export button works as well. so just leave it at Professional if you have trouble like this.
NOTE 2: Setting this configuration only matters when compiling the "engines" in the bin folder described in step 8. Keep this setting at Professional when you're compiling the editor.

7. Now at the top of the window, make sure "Release" and "Win32" are selected from the dropdown menus, then go back to the Solution Explorer tab on the left panel, find the "GameEditor" project, right click, rebuild (or just build if you haven't built it yet)

OPTIONAL: 8. Find the "bin" directory in the source directory, it will have a fully working copy of the default game editor pre-compiled, but it also contains another "bin" directory with 2 folders named, geapp_ipad and geapp_iphone, files with no extension named, gameEditorGP2X, gameEditorLinux, gameEditorMacOSX, gameEditorPocket, gameEditorWindows, and update.sh ... copy this entire bin directory containing these files into your output directory to test your newly compiled gameEditor.exe with working export.

9. To compile the gameEditorWindows bin file, right click the solution in the left panel, and choose "Clean Solution" then change the _BaseConfiguration to "$(Standalone_Pro)", and compile again, it will create another gameEditor.exe in the output folder, but upon launching only shows a black screen.
10. Rename this exe to gameEditorWindows with no extension, and copy that to your bin folder.

hey, I got the source to compile with vc++ 2008 express but there's still 3 errors, is there a quick guide anywhere?
Last edited by Lokaar on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 am, edited 11 times in total.
Lokaar

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: How To Compile Source?

Postby skydereign » Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 pm

No, the quick guide would be to just compile it, which doesn't seem to be working. I've only built it with linux, makslane was the windows build type. What are the errors?
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Lokaar » Fri May 24, 2013 4:37 pm

I might setup a dual boot so I can try it on Linux
Lokaar

Postby Lokaar » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 am

I'm assuming, due to the lack of guides, there's a "if you're good enough, you'll figure it out" kind of attitude?
Lokaar

Postby skydereign » Tue May 28, 2013 8:25 am

Lokaar wrote:I'm assuming, due to the lack of guides, there's a "if you're good enough, you'll figure it out" kind of attitude?

Sadly, kind of. That isn't the intent, but no one who has actually compiled the source has had the time to write a guide for it. That being said, it normally should be very straightforward, since if it doesn't compile, we can fix it, and commit the changes so it should just compile in one make. But, truth of the matter is, the current source doesn't compile for linux. The 1.5 version which was merged into the main repository broke linux support, and hasn't been fixed yet. I have a version that compiles, but it is in a very broken state, which is why it hasn't been committed back. I believe the 1.4 source exists inside the 1.4 source as a separate directory, in which case that should be able to compile without error. If you are getting errors for the 1.4 version, you can post them and we'll see if we can solve them. But, 1.5 is too broken right now for it to compile on linux.
skydereign

Postby Lokaar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:38 am

Ah, so the old code is still in there... Very understandable about the new code. So, that means there is still functional code, as well as the new code. No rush on the new code, I'm sure it'll be nice and shiny when it's ready :)

Edit: found it, http://game-editor.svn.sourceforge.net/ under the "previous" dir, instead of trunk

Note: Needs the direct x sdk to compile
Lokaar

Postby Lokaar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 am

Seems the export button does nothing when I compiled the source from the SVN

Edit: and the "stable source" from the downloads section, too... might be missing some dependencies or installed the wrong version of direct x sdk

Edit 2: since I have June 2010 directx sdk 9.0c, maybe it is causing an issue since I have a lot of depreciated warnings when compiling portions that use the directx sdk)

Edit 3: or maybe that I'm using windows 7, 64-bit? >_< ... would really like to not have to reinstall windows and download every 9.0 directx sdk to find out which one was used in this project -_-

Edit 4: Also, when I change the Property Manager > gameEditor > Release | Win32 > _BaseConfiguration > User Macros > versionType = $(Standalone_Pro)
after it compiles, the game editor.exe only shows a black screen and cannot be closed (without task manager), but when I use $(Professional) game editor.exe launches successfully, although pushing export does nothing

Edit 5: Going to reinstall and use 32-bit as well as to make sure everything is clean

Note: I am testing this on clean unmodified code before moving forward
Lokaar

Postby Lokaar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39 am

Clean install of windows 7 SP1 32-bit, visual c++ 2008 express, 2010 direct x sdk, libraries linked successfully, build completes successfully, although setting Standalone_Pro still causes a black screen, and setting Professional launches successfully (with the "stable source" tar from game-editor.com downloads section)

am I missing some dependencies? I can't find a dependency list anywhere

was it being compiled in XP? maybe I'm missing something from a clean install (hardware in perfect condition on this new computer) noticed some parts were commented out but that didn't do much, export still doesn't work

maybe it's not the same source code that the downloadable exe was compiled from?
Lokaar

Postby skydereign » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Lokaar wrote:Clean install of windows 7 SP1 32-bit, visual c++ 2008 express, 2010 direct x sdk, libraries linked successfully, build completes successfully, although setting Standalone_Pro still causes a black screen, and setting Professional launches successfully (with the "stable source" tar from game-editor.com downloads section)

am I missing some dependencies? I can't find a dependency list anywhere

was it being compiled in XP? maybe I'm missing something from a clean install (hardware in perfect condition on this new computer) noticed some parts were commented out but that didn't do much, export still doesn't work

maybe it's not the same source code that the downloadable exe was compiled from?

Compiling the editor is different from compiling the bin files for exporting. Notice in the precompiled version you download from the site has a directory bin, with a bunch of files. You need those to be able to export your game.
skydereign

Postby Lokaar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 pm

would've been hard to guess that :/

thank you so much, that's all needed to compile successfully :D

export button works and all...

Thank you very much for your help, SkyDereign

I'm assuming there's no source code for those game export files?
can't seem to find it anywhere... opening them in resource hacker only shows a few icons, but they are definitely exe files that were compiled from somthing, yet I can't find the source code to them... hmm
Edit: nevermind, figured it out lol
Lokaar

Re: [Solved] How To Compile 1.4 Source?

Postby Lokaar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:34 pm

would I have to compile the gameEditorLinux bin file in linux?
Lokaar

Return to General