gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Learn how to make certain types of games and use gameEditor.

gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Postby skydereign » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Beta released for linux and windows!

Next month I'll be releasing an update to version 1.4. This release focuses on improving the overall experience and flow while using gameEditor, by adding things like shortcuts, and other key bindings.
Some of the changes so far:
Added many new keybindings/shortcuts.
  • Save (Ctrl-s)
  • Save as (Ctrl-Shift-S)
  • Load (Ctrl-l)
  • Export (Ctrl-e)
  • Open control panel (Ctrl-p)
  • Add Actor (Ctrl-a)
  • Game Mode (Ctrl-g)
  • Quit (Ctrl-q)
  • Lock Actor (l)
  • Remove Actor (Ctrl-backspace)
  • Nudge actors with control arrow keys (Ctrl-Arrow Keys)
  • Clicking actors while holding Ctrl-d will delete them.
Bug fixes.
  • Fixed ticket #33, the unparenting positioning glitch.
  • Fixed ticket #38, the wait for immediate action crash bug.
  • Fixed ticket #40, directional_velocity properly updated in draw.
  • Fixed ticket #39, PlaySound2 and PlayMusic2 gui interface supports infinite looping.
  • Fixed ticket #88, can't turn the view actor off.
Other
  • Custom script editor size.
  • Faster deletion of actors (right click menu now can delete actors).
  • The missing 2 functions (getAnimIndex2, getAnimName2, DestroyTimer2, getclone2)
There's still plenty more to do, and lots of cool things I'd like to add. I'll update as more things progress. I still don't know when in September I'll be done, but when I do, I'll post it here.

Note: It isn't a major feature update like 1.5, so it won't have the performance boosts mentioned in the 1.5 release, nor will it have physics/scaling/rotation.

-Edit
Here's the beta version of 1.4.1. The zip includes the Linux and Windows editor and exports. Other editor/engines are currently not built and will be there in the full release.
Attachments
gameEditor1.4.1b.zip
(6.81 MiB) Downloaded 171922 times
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Re: gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement

Postby lcl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:37 pm

YYYYEEEESSSS!

So many features/fixes I've always wanted to have in GE! These things may seem little, but
they will make the workflow with GE so much better! :D

THANKS skydereign! +1 :D
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey Sky :)

It's good to see GE is still getting some development after all this time! Besides you, Ark, and good ol' Makslane, are there any other developers currently working on GE? Been awhile since I visited the forum :P. Seems this community keeps me coming back, lol.

Originally I was driven away from GE due to a lack of certain features I needed, but I finally feel confident enough that I could contribute them to the code base. I am contemplating remaking Mazeman in GE, and if I do, I will need to add to the Config/Game Properties section to add more sophisticated resolution selection (I have a need for pixel perfect scale-up).

Anyway, perhaps I will lend a hand in future development 1.4.2 onwards. Expect me to stay for a bit this time and post a few demos to add to my old collection ;)

Cheers!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
Free, open-source & crossplatform pixel art editor (currently under construction).
pyrometal

Score: 86 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 pm

pyrometal wrote:Hey Sky :)

Hey! It's great to see you're still around.

pyrometal wrote:It's good to see GE is still getting some development after all this time! Besides you, Ark, and good ol' Makslane, are there any other developers currently working on GE? Been awhile since I visited the forum :P. Seems this community keeps me coming back, lol.

Well actually, it's just me right now. makslane and akr have been busy, and I don't think they'll be doing any serious development on gE any more. akr was working on version 1.5, but that isn't going anywhere right now (also very broken on Linux). gE has been in need of a new version, so that's where 1.4.1 comes into play. I'm hoping to do quarterly releases from 1.4.1 and on.

pyrometal wrote:Originally I was driven away from GE due to a lack of certain features I needed, but I finally feel confident enough that I could contribute them to the code base. I am contemplating remaking Mazeman in GE, and if I do, I will need to add to the Config/Game Properties section to add more sophisticated resolution selection (I have a need for pixel perfect scale-up).

Anyway, perhaps I will lend a hand in future development 1.4.2 onwards. Expect me to stay for a bit this time and post a few demos to add to my old collection ;)

Yeah, gE is pretty far behind in a lot of respects. But gE development is back in gear and I'd love the help for future releases.

pyrometal wrote:Cheers!

ttyl
skydereign

Postby Lacotemale » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Awesome news! Looking forward to those keyboard shortcuts! 8)
Lacotemale

Score: 7 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Yes!

I was already excited about the keyboard shortcuts, but now I'm really excited to see the arrow key "nudging" feature. :)

Also the unparenting glitch... Sooo glad to see that fixed.

Thanks for keeping the development ball rolling Sky. I'm super pumped for this release.

pyrometal wrote:Anyway, perhaps I will lend a hand in future development 1.4.2 onwards. Expect me to stay for a bit this time and post a few demos to add to my old collection ;)

Pyrometal! Dude, it's awesome to see you posting again. I'm excited to see what contributions you'll bring here in the near future as well. :)
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby RippeR7420 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm stoked on this!
CURRENT PROJECTS:

-Olo: The Sword Shaman http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12919

-The Wrath of Blob: (On the back burner)

-StickMcGee - Blast to the Future http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13660
RippeR7420

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Very nice! :)
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby Lokaar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Good job
Lokaar

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby 247wkman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:27 am

just seeing a new post is reasuring in itself, given how long i've been pining for a 1.5 release (don't want the interface to change- just more dynamics)
custom script text size will be great- its a real pain to read script on full hd screens at presant, plus the ';' sighns teal color is almost invisible on the grey background when small.
maybe a custom background option, or just make it black like a terminal page!
247wkman

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 am

247wkman wrote:custom script text size will be great- its a real pain to read script on full hd screens at presant

Ah, that's not actually what I meant by custom script size. But, that is a good idea, I'll see if I can get that set up. Currently gE is using an image font, but I'll try to get custom font size set up.
247wkman wrote:';' sighns teal color is almost invisible on the grey background when small.
maybe a custom background option, or just make it black like a terminal page!

I know what you mean. Almost all video captures of people working in gE are illegible because of that problem. I'm planning to have customizable themes soon (hoping for 1.4.1, but not sure yet).
skydereign

Postby Turon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 am

Um speaking of fonts and stuff will it ever be possible to have letters like ü ç ŝ and ŭ?
It would be interesting to know, and It will definitely be useful when translating your game
into a romance language like Portuguese and Spanish.
Last edited by Turon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turon

Postby skydereign » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 am

Turon wrote:Um speaking of fonts and stuff will it ever be possible to have letters like ü ç ŝ and ŭ?

Yes, when gE has actual ttf support, you will be able to use other characters.
skydereign

Postby Turon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Skydereign are you positive that you can get 1.4.1 released in September?
Turon

Postby skydereign » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Turon wrote:Skydereign are you positive that you can get 1.4.1 released in September?

I can give an exact date when I finish setting up the build environment for windows and mac. When I have that fully working, I'll be able to continue adding features to gE. Also, do remember only the changes listed in my first post are set in stone. Everything else, like ttf support, are just things I'd like to get in.
skydereign

Next

Return to Tutorials