Sound Actors

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Sound Actors

Postby GEuser » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:00 pm

This is probably a tall order. It would be cool to have a SOUND ACTOR like the CANVAS ACTOR. It could be a simple software synthesiser that you could program within gE just like you can draw/plot stuff with the canvas actor but obviously with sound specific functions. Stuff like Attack, Sustain, Release & Decay settings, different waveforms (Sine, Sawtooth, Pulse, Noise) or ability to have 2 or more VCO's that you arithmetically add, subtract, apply filters (low/high pass,...), etc.. to create new music / sound effects.

I suppose the major obstacle would be the difficulty in dealing with audio hardware specific stuff on different platforms. If only there was a multi-platform open language for audio support like openGl for graphics. Shame, it would be great :(

It would make gE a completely self sufficient game creation tool. Artwork & widgets with Canvas actors, music & sound effects with Sound actors. All you would need is gE. No need for library of sounds, images with all the copyright issuses because you create your own or those released on the forums for community consumption (all created with gE itself). How cool would that be? It's asking for a lot. Still a cool thing if EVER possible (although doubt it). What a challenage for the Dev team this would be?
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Re: Sound Actors

Postby Turon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 pm

You can create music with Fl Studio and sound with audiocity and graphics with Gimp.
You DON'T need those sound library's and graphics library's!
And ogg format is the most used audio format for music,
So export it as a ogg. Png is the I think the best for graphics.
I'm not sure what is best for sounds but it is not ogg.
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Re: Sound Actors

Postby GEuser » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks Turon. I know there's loads of stuff out there. Just thought it would be cool to have a complete package in gE. I realise what I proposed is unpracticable. It was just a thought. Fl Studio is very cool thou. I use audacity for most stuff.
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests