Game Editor Open Source

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

Game Editor Open Source

Postby Dcode » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Could you kindly answer my questions:
1- Is this project an open source? (More is the license part if you can speak about it like GPL)
2- On the download page I can see two demo's (windows & including linux[?]) Whats about this? is the compiled binary non-free? The same thing is been done by x-chat for windows (Trial for windows) and totally free for linux while source code is available for free.
3- Assume this project is really free and open sourced; Can you explain to me the buy link? I saw you are selling it which really gives me a big confuse while I read its open source project.

If it's free and on an acceptable license for linux community (Like GPL under any of its versions), I suggest you go to maemo forum (developer section or games section and ask for someone to take the responsibility for porting it). This is the best time to get any applications/games ported as its currently active for maemo before n900 getting shipped. If Game-Editor ported and got into a level of end user usiblilty it might have it's chance to get shipped with n900.

Feel free to make a request here http://talk.maemo.org/ & please provide the source code (It seems I can't access it without user&password as it's not open for everyone!)

-Donny
Dcode

Score: 0 Give a positive score

maemo 5 (linux) / n900 port

Postby makslane » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Game Editor is not free, but any developer can get the code here:

http://game-editor.com/

The code is public, but the license is not open source.
The license is here:
http://code.game-editor.com/browser/trunk/license.txt
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Re: maemo 5 (linux) / n900 port

Postby Dcode » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:45 pm

makslane wrote:Game Editor is not free, but any developer can get the code here:

http://game-editor.com/

The code is public, but the license is not open source.
The license is here:
http://code.game-editor.com/browser/trunk/license.txt

From the license it's not really encouraging for giving a work for it (More like developing for a closed source project for free that provided you the source for enhancing/fixing it and that it states that they can resell your work that isn't anymore belonging to you for sum of money that you won't get anything and moreover you can't use your code freely anymore because it is counted as derivative work in anther word it like stating that you can't fork the project and impland your ideas on it in the way you want it)
I have to admit that I was consider porting it to maemo ,but the current license isn't giving much freedom for the developers.

All of these is speaking about myself and my own opinion which is in no way that can be related to maemo community or any other developer.
However, I will try to keep my eyes on this project where I do really hope it becomes a real open source project in future (->>>license<<<-)
Dcode

Postby makslane » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:06 pm

I have no contributions to the code until now, may be is a license problem.
But the big problem to me is I have seen a lot of good open source projects die.

I don´t want Game Editor project die.
I want to get developers and share the revenues with all. (I hope get a good way to implement this)

The developers must to get paid for yours contributions.

If I keep get no contributions to the code, I think the Game Editor will be Open Source.
But in this situation, I don´t know if I will can still to work in the project.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby Dcode » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm

I see the issues here.
Do you think in turning Game-Editor business into a totally open-source project? where sourceforge can give you the free hosting (This way you only pay for the domain).

This project then will be depended on donating , adsense and earning from offering a support for price. I can think also of the possibility to sell binary (Source would be available but the compiled binary will costs money for windows & iPhone/Palm) and you can do that GPL allow you to sell it.
Add to that you can fund the project by selling games you made by Game-Editor by you.
I see many possibilities and you can take a look to redhat/centos as an example.
You might want also to use a modified GPL license, you might be interested to know how an opensource project / open source developers earning money (google it for ideas)

try to open a discussion between communities where they will be interested in supporting you. (big iPhone fourms/Symbian/ open source fourms , etc ...)
Listening to many people will give you a better idea in how to move into your next step.
Dcode

Postby makslane » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Dcode wrote:Do you think in turning Game-Editor business into a totally open-source project?

Yes, I think.

This project then will be depended on donating , adsense and earning from offering a support for price.

I don´t think donation will works (I´ve tryed something like that a long time ago)

I can think also of the possibility to sell binary (Source would be available but the compiled binary will costs money for windows & iPhone/Palm)

This model can works!

and you can do that GPL allow you to sell it.

But the GPL let´s other to distribute the binaries too.
I don´t think this is a good idea for Game Editor.

Add to that you can fund the project by selling games you made by Game-Editor by you.

No. Game Editor needs to be auto supported.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby Dcode » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm

It seems you didn't do you research part , so I will let you do it for yourself.
Supporting your project by making it open source is really possible ,but how to make it supporting itself with being open sourced this might take a lots more of turning everything upside down.

I'd like to keep this going ,but it seems it wont unless you do the search for your self for example if you take a look into an open source project like Blender you will see they support them self through e-Shop (Take a look into it , you will get more ideas) , so try to take a look into the others and see how do they support themself
Dcode

Postby makslane » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:41 am

I will research more, thanks.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby makslane » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:07 pm

makslane
Site Admin

Re: Game Editor Open Source

Postby makslane » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm trying to get a way to pay the developers thats have accepted contributions to the code.

The Game Editor source code can be open source (even GPL) and have a commercial license for the derivated projects or games thats can't follow the open source license.
The revenue from the commercial license can be shared between the source contributors based on the use of the contributed code.

Note, the dual license is necessary becouse the GPL says no one can link closed source to the GPL source.
So, the scripts used in a game need to be follow the GPL too.
With a dual license, we can have closed games (like today, by buying the commercial license) and open source games.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby makslane » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 pm

makslane
Site Admin

Postby Hblade » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:20 am

makslane wrote:I don´t want Game Editor project die.
I want to get developers and share the revenues with all. (I hope get a good way to implement this)

I promise you that Game Editor will never die. Maybe one day the devs will make it so good it will go mass market and be placed in stocks in Wallmart, GameStop, etc...
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:09 pm

:-)
makslane
Site Admin

Postby Hblade » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 pm

^.^
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby FERdeBOER » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello everybody.

This is my first post and I want to say this program might be the solution of my problems :wink:

I have a doubt about the license: I'm planing to make a very simple game in order to use it as part of a lab for children.
The game itself will be a very small part of the lab (about 15 minutes of 2-3 hours lab). It also will be free, open source, and downloadable, but I will earn money by working on this lab (I hope so). I mean, I'm not going to sell the game, it will be free for everyone interested on it, but the game will be used as part of an "economic" activity. Does that mean I have to buy a license for Game Editor?

Thank You very much.
FERdeBOER

Next

Return to General