GE's Presentation

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

GE's Presentation

Postby OmniArts » Sun May 01, 2011 12:17 pm

I guess this area is as good as any post. I'm looking for suggestions from the community to help chose a Mascot/Logo/Website to use for GE
I don't have Maks permission, but I'm hoping to present a final copy of what i'm making to him soon.

Apalia HD Will be advertising gE in whatever ways possible, but not in its current state.
The engine = GREAT, the community.. better than ever, what's missing is the General Presentation. Its long overdue.

Below you will find a TEMP Mascot "Owlfred"
I chose to make Owlfred because to me, that symbolizes game developers, and I'm still yet to meet a game developer who doesnt live by the way of the owl

Below is a "Work in Progress" of a GE Logo/Icon/Website. There is also a link to the full sized website concept.

The question I ask the community is, what would you see to be the true mascot of ge?
And please don't say a pacman. The mascot of choice of the gE community will be created in 3d.

LOGO

SITE PREVIEW

FULL SITE CONCEPT
http://apaliahd.com/test/ge_site_wip2.jpg
OmniArts

Score: 16 Give a positive score

Re: GE's Presentation

Postby akr » Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 pm

James, fantastic! Its great that you guys make your thoughts about GEs future. I will think about a new logo. Another inspiration is the one from gamesalad. Their website is also interresting. We could think about a similar presentation using your artwork.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby OmniArts » Sun May 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Akr, the game salad logo is very nice. I hope to make something of that standard as soon as we get some ideas flowing.
I like the color scheme of their website too but went with the dark theme because of the current look.
Any art from AHD can be used and I'd be happy to integrate anyone else's from the community!
OmniArts

Postby Kodo » Sun May 01, 2011 1:27 pm

This is a great idea, I've thought for a long time that the general image is holding back GE, in my mind its even more important than getting a great game published, imagine if both could happen, GE would become hugely popular.
Inogames: http://www.inogames.com iOS gaming
Firetop Adventure (app store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firetop- ... ?mt=8&ls=1
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Sun May 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Even though I've been so used to the old GE icon that it kinda feels like a tradition to me, but I can never frown upon change! I must say the idea looks really neat as well!
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Wow, this is actually very nice! :D
+1 for your work for GE!
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby needaname » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 am

the owl seems a bit weird i notice that game maker uses the pacman as a reference to its game-yness and game salads has tetris like blocks. i like those refrences personally but both are kinda hidden. id be all for a new logo and site could help ge alot. id pick space invader type mascot. there was a pic somewhere but i cant find it now. will add it when i find it.
needaname

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby OmniArts » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 am

thanks guys, ill be working on some new ideas in the next couple of days, ill post them as i have them.
about the space invader type, would that be such a good idea?
One of the main reasons i'm suggesting out with the pacman, is because its out of pacman.
OmniArts

Postby needaname » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 am

the reason the owl seems unrelated is that it kinda is. i don't mean directly use the space invaders. game maker uses the pacman shown through negative space, and its nowhere near the replicate we have not to mention ours is kinda ugly. and game salad directly shows no connection to tetris. the pixel block type shapes as the salad suggest tetris though and the eyes mario. subtlety is key something us gamers can recognize but id hardly relate to an owl for a game creation software. that goes for pretty much any animal i can think of. maybe a penguin cuz of linux but i think those are overdone.
needaname

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby OmniArts » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 am

no problems, but as stated in my first post the owl is a temp.
its just something to get everyone thinking :)
OmniArts

Postby makslane » Mon May 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Great Job, I like the site design, but I also like the current mascot logo :-)
Just a not, any future changes in the Game Editor site must be done using a MediaWiki template.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Okay, to make this clear, we are not suggesting to change the logo for no reason. We are considering what is best for gE. I've been talking to several users about this, and they all agree to some level that the pacman comes across as unprofessional. To add to that, I've shown gE to a fair few people and to quote the most common response, "What the hell is wrong with that pacman?"... The other more common responses weren't much better, and though some of them had interest in gE none of them ended up using it.

As for the wiki format on the main page, it is quite hard to make the wiki format look like a professional game tool's site. We feel it too needs a tune up, and I'm sure people would agree. We are only thinking of gE's future, and making the main site more to industry standards will help with that... We can't leave everything the way it was, it is inefficient and is preventing gE from growing. And just because we the current gE users like it, doesn't mean others will. Like Game A Gogo said, it is like a tradition for us, but we can't let that hold us back.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 am

May be, but I think the biggest change we can make on the site is to make the Game Editor games playable online!
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 am

That would help extraordinarily as well, but as far as I can tell, you are not working on that, and akr is working on other things. We can only do so much and this is the most helpful thing we can do. Changing the aesthetics to make gE look more professional and a serious choice will help attract developers (at least it will help keep them here). One look at gE's main site right now could make gE look somewhat inexperienced in the industry. We are aiming to fix that with these changes.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby OmniArts » Tue May 03, 2011 12:33 pm

new logo concept.

OmniArts

Next

Return to General