Super Smash Bros. Mobile (sprite help REALLY appreciated)

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

Re: Super Smash Bros. Mobile

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Wow, that blog post has me pretty p.o'ed right now.

Sure it doesn't have all it's polish yet, but it's in BETA for crying out loud! You aren't even charging anything for it either! What really gets me is that they almost blame GE for what they say is "obviously" a "no-programming-required" deal. To a point I can understand that from their perspective, because that's basically what it says on the GE homepage. It's also the fact that the whole "Game Editor" name screams "Toy" to people that aren't in the know, or haven't actually tried to use it before. Then they google it, and then their preconceived ideas are somewhat confirmed by what the GE website says at the top of the page (if they scroll down a but they'd read otherwise).

I'm just so sicken tired of this happening whenever someone outside the GE community reviews a GE game and they discredit it because of the splash screen and the name or whatever. This time it was sort of a side fact to their opinion, but it's a turnoff at the get-go other times. We need to find an alternative splash or name if we are to promote GE and make a living off our games made with it (that's really a long stretch though but you guys should know what I mean)

Anyways.
It's pretty awesome actually. It needs some work still, but hey, it's beta!
I can't gripe too much personally about the AI because I haven't found the perfect way to do that yet XD It's pretty good actually, but the cpu characters tend to get stuck on the ceiling a bit to often. The buttons could use some better graphics maybe, I assume that those are just placeholders. Not a huge deal breaker anyway.
It's hard to try and take a preexisting game and try to make a copy of it exactly the same as the original.

That being said, if it were my favorite game being ripped by someone using seemingly amateurish software, and it was released to the APP STORE and someone was CHARGING ANYTHING for it, (which you're not.) I'd be pretty ticked and immediately hit that "Report abuse" button. In all honesty, I think if it wasn't a ssb clone, no one would be bashing it really, and it is infringing on Nintendo intellectual property. Sure I clone games myself sometimes, but I don't release them, I just use it as sort of an exercise for myself. That's just me.

Idk, maybe they're expecting something coming from a AAA studio (probably not if it was released on a jailbreak store) and not from one guy doing it after school in their free time. It's a pretty awesome game for one person to be working on solely! They don't know what they're talking about.

I wouldn't take it personally. They did at least applaud your efforts. Sorry for ranting so much, I hope none of it gets twisted the wrong way :)
Last edited by Jagmaster on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby Fojam » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks dude and i completely agree with you. There were some people who saw the game-editor logo and went "oh you made it with game maker, it sucks." People obviously cant read that it's game-editor, which is a completely different thing
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Super Smash Bros: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12307 PLEASE help by making sprites!
Fojam

Score: 69 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Exactly! It's completely different :)

Keep it up man!
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby Fojam » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Do you think any of you guys could help edit sprites for it? because that's the most tedious part
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Fojam

Postby RippeR7420 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 am

I'll give it a shot. Which character should I do? And how would you prefer the sprites? Sprite strips? Or multiple files? It would be easier for me to do individual .png's.
CURRENT PROJECTS:

-Olo: The Sword Shaman http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12919

-The Wrath of Blob: (On the back burner)

-StickMcGee - Blast to the Future http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13660
RippeR7420

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby Fojam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am

sprite strips would be easier to work with, and can you do any one of these? mario, sonic, ichigo, and bowser are done, and fox is being done by my friend, so any of the other ones would be awesome. here are some sprite sheets: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?db9cdabceo3w734

these are the animations i need:
stand, walk, run, jump, doublejump, land, fall, hang, crouch, use melee weapon, hurt minor, hurt fly, hurt flip, hurt spin, hurt spin upward, hurt dead, standard attack or combo, standard side, standard up, standard down, running or sliding attack, air attack, air side, air up, air down, special, special side, special up, special down, smash attack charging, smash attack side, smash attack up, smash attack down, final smash
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Fojam

Postby RippeR7420 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 am

Ok. I just started working on Goku. I'll let you know when I get it done :)
CURRENT PROJECTS:

-StickMcGee - Blast to the Future http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13660
RippeR7420

Postby Fojam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks!
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Fojam

Postby happyjustbecause » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Hey man, I played the demo for this, and I think it's pretty good. I also read that review of the game, and it is a pretty ridiculous one. Why he is doing a review for a game that is free AND in beta, I don't know. But good you are letting it stop you from continuing, I think this game has enormous potential, I don't really have much criticism that you probably don't already know. I think that the AI is pretty good considering how hard that is to do. Anyways, I think you're doing a great job, keep it up.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey man, I played the demo for this, and I think it's pretty good. I also read that review of the game, and it is a pretty ridiculous one. Why he is doing a review for a game that is free AND in beta, I don't know. But good you are letting it stop you from continuing, I think this game has enormous potential, I don't really have much criticism that you probably don't already know. I think that the AI is pretty good considering how hard that is to do. Anyways, I think you're doing a great job, keep it up.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby RippeR7420 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Well I'm almost done with Goku. I attempted to do it sprite strips, but realized I don't ever use strips so it would of took me a lot longer haha. But I did make individual folders for each set of animations. Eg; standing still-> stand right, stand left. Ground combo kick-> Gr.Co. Kick right, Gr.Co. Kick left. Etc. I should be done with them by tomorrow for sure if not tonight. Can't wait to see Goku in action!
CURRENT PROJECTS:

RippeR7420

Postby Fojam » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 am

dont worry ill stitch them together into strips. thanks so much!
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Fojam

Postby RippeR7420 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 am

I made them so you can still use them the way are if ya want too haha :) after you add the animation hit multiple frames ;)
CURRENT PROJECTS:

RippeR7420

Postby RippeR7420 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 am

Well here ya go :) I may have missed a couple, if so, just let me know what else you need. :)
I was kinda rushing it because of how excited I am too see them in action!
This should be enough to get Goku up-n-runnin' though!

Let me know when Goku's in the Cydia version of iSSB!

-RippeR7420
Attachments
Goku.rar
Goku Sprites ready for GE!
(672.59 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
CURRENT PROJECTS:

RippeR7420

Postby Fojam » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Actually can you make the frames smaller and set the bottom of goku at the bottom of the frame?
CLICK TO GIVE ME POINTS

My Latest Projects:
Fojam

PreviousNext

Return to Game Demos