Gameboy (Advance) Game Development

Learn how to start making games.

Gameboy (Advance) Game Development

Postby RadThadd » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:34 am

The Main Idea
It would solve tons of problems if it was possible to develop games for GB(A) in gameEditor. Like the development for Android, and the Android SDK. Plus, GB(A) emulators are on many platforms.

GameEditor C/C++
Let's make it clear that we all know that GE uses C/C++. And believe it or not, GB(A) games are too. Quite often if not always. Either way, it's possible to be done in C/C++. But GE would make that easier.

Gameboy Cartridges
If it can be written to a cartridge, that would be totally recreational, because GB(A) is outdated. There would be more hope to just build it for an emulator (in GBA/GBC) format.

Gameboy Controls
If there was a way for exporting to be done, GP2X should work fine. But the problem would come in at testing a game - let's say, on a Windows PC. Because it doesn't have the certain buttons necessary for input/output for a GB(A). But that would be fixed by writing a code that recognizes both keys. Or exporting the game first THEN testing it through an emulator.

Graphics & Resolution
This shouldn't be a problem. Being that GE has many screen resolutions, and if I'm not mistaken, customizable, the game shouldn't have that problem. But again, GP2X should work (if the GP2X thing isn't being mistaken by the actual keyboard thing - if not mistaken all together). GBA games are compatible with 32bit PNG graphics so, hooray!

The Bottom Line
So thanks if you can help. If there is a way, consider the premises en bolded.
If there isn't, and the only reasons are listed in bold up above or for another reason, then I'm puzzled because if those things in bold can not be done, then that's a waste of capabilities. But I do hate to picture a game not working because of certain actor types in the game. Again, any bit of information, will help.
RadThadd

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: Gameboy (Advance) Game Development

Postby 420foxbot » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:49 am

The issue here, is that, to my knowledge, gameboy's processing architecture isn't what could be called "normal"
I don't think that gE is capable of exporting a ROM which could be emulated on GB architecture. I'm confident that this would require heavy modification of gE's source, aside from moving it's compiler to a standard more recent than C89.
420foxbot

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby RadThadd » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:04 am

420foxbot wrote:The issue here, is that, to my knowledge, gameboy's processing architecture isn't what could be called "normal"
I don't think that gE is capable of exporting a ROM which could be emulated on GB architecture. I'm confident that this would require heavy modification of gE's source, aside from moving it's compiler to a standard more recent than C89.

So um, I'd come out better making a gameboy game in another C/C++ program. With my C knowledge.
RadThadd

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 pm

420foxbot wrote:The issue here, is that, to my knowledge, gameboy's processing architecture isn't what could be called "normal"

Compiler? gE hasn't got a compiler.

RadThadd wrote:

So um, I'd come out better making a gameboy game in another C/C++ program. With my C knowledge.

?
You cannot use your "C knowledge" on a C++ program. As for C AND C++ supporting programs for making games.. cannot say there are any.
Game-Editor is not meant for Game Boy game creation.
Since GBA and GBDS are with fully rewritable firmware however, it is possible with some luxury modifications on the both sides.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Has anyone ever seriously looked into the possibilities?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby schnellboot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:40 am

Turon wrote:Has anyone ever seriously looked into the possibilities?

you'd come out easier with your own built gameboy
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:08 am

schnellboot wrote:
Turon wrote:Has anyone ever seriously looked into the possibilities?

you'd come out easier with your own built gameboy

You mean like a Pi Boy (Rasberry Pi based game device in the likeness of a game boy usually running Cupcade OS)?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Return to Getting Started