hey there. New to program, need help

Talk about making games.

hey there. New to program, need help

Postby csharporbflat » Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 pm

I just started using the program, and I must say it seams to be a great program that makes it easy to create games. I created a functional game in less than 10 minutes having never used the program before. it is that easy.

The question is,

I see on the forums that their are mixed opinions about being able to export the project to IOS or Android, and have it run naively on those devices.

What is the capability of this software to be able to do that.

Also what is the ability to do in-app purchases?

Thanks
csharporbflat

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: hey there. New to program, need help

Postby lcl » Sun May 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi!

Welcome to the forum! :) Game Editor is a really nice program, good choice!

Well, here's how the situation with iOS and Android ports are:

Android:
Android port is in beta and can't currently be used to actually make working games ready for being sold. However, you can build yourself a test version of the game to see it run on your phone. But the beta version doesn't have any automatic scaling or anything like that, so, a resolution that suits your phone's screen, won't maybe suit your friend's phone's screen. That being said, I don't recommend starting to develop a game for Android, especially because the developer who was working on the Android port, is not developing Game Editor anymore.

iOS:
For building a game for iOS you will need xCode and a mac, to my knowledge. The iOS port works well for iPhones until iPhone 4 and it's different versions, but for iPhone 5 you'll have to build the game separately, because of the screen ratio change. But building for iPhone 5 works too, the game just won't be playable on other iPhones. (To my knowledge.)

So, developing for Android is not recommended, but development for iOS is possible. You can build games either for iPhones 1-4 and all iPads or then for iPhone 5 alone.
This is how I've understood this, but maybe someone with more experience about the iOS port can correct any mistakes I've made?

But anyway, welcome to the forum once again, and I'll see you around!

- lcl -
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby csharporbflat » Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm

thanks kindly.

I do have xcode on my mac, but I am mostly a Windows User.

Yes if someone has more experience with developing for IOS that would be great.

I am not sure how the apple store works, with regard to this. I see many apps say works with iphone 3/4/5. Does this mean the dev uploads separate files for different iphone versions, or does the app auto scale.

As for android

Wouldn't I just use XDK to compile the file before transferring to my device. How would XDK work then with GE is there some kind of way the GE can export something that is readable by XDK.

Anyway as I said before this is a great program, that is far superior to other app development programs that I have seen, and I hope that the community will continue to support it to the point where it becomes a useful tool
for indie devs to create IOS and Android apps from one GE source file.
csharporbflat

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby Wertyboy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:27 am

lcl wrote:iOS:
For building a game for iOS you will need xCode and a mac, to my knowledge. The iOS port works well for iPhones until iPhone 4 and it's different versions, but for iPhone 5 you'll have to build the game separately, because of the screen ratio change. But building for iPhone 5 works too, the game just won't be playable on other iPhones. (To my knowledge.)

So, developing for Android is not recommended, but development for iOS is possible. You can build games either for iPhones 1-4 and all iPads or then for iPhone 5 alone.
This is how I've understood this, but maybe someone with more experience about the iOS port can correct any mistakes I've made?

Wait.... so are iPhone 1-4 games compatible with iPhone 5?
Wertyboy

Score: 44 Give a positive score

Postby RippeR7420 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:56 am

@wertyboy: yes. The few games I have released for iOS were tested and used on my iPod 4. I currently have the iPod 5 and they work just fine. :) there is however two black bars that fill in the gaps of the resolution change.
CURRENT PROJECTS:

-Olo: The Sword Shaman http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12919

-The Wrath of Blob: (On the back burner)

-StickMcGee - Blast to the Future http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13660
RippeR7420

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby Wertyboy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:23 pm

RippeR7420 wrote:@wertyboy: yes. The few games I have released for iOS were tested and used on my iPod 4. I currently have the iPod 5 and they work just fine. :) there is however two black bars that fill in the gaps of the resolution change.

Thanks, glad to hear that
Wertyboy

Score: 44 Give a positive score

Return to Game Development