Berzerk (Remake)

Talk about making games.

Berzerk (Remake)

Postby conda » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:27 am

Here is a beta version of a Berzerk remake made while learning GE. If anyone wants to try it out and give some feedback it would be greatly appreciated. It's pretty close to the original arcade version and functional, but I'm still trying to properly increase the speed of the robots and otto. I think I made it too hard because I can't get past the Dark Green colored robots, or maybe I just stink at it. :)

Movement: 8-Way via arrow keys
Shooting: Left Control Key

ss001.jpg

ss002.png

Berzerk.zip
(3.29 MiB) Downloaded 210 times

By the way, I'm just curious, is GE dead? I've studied the forums for a while now and the project seems abandoned. I started learning Godot recently, but still tinker around with GE because it's similar to how I used to make games back in the day.
conda

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Berzerk (Remake)

Postby Turon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:26 am

Your game looks interesting I will be playing it shortly.
conda wrote:By the way, I'm just curious, is GE dead? I've studied the forums for a while now and the project seems abandoned.

It is no longer being developed, the only hope for securing gE's existence is some fashion would be to build something new, ground up, to function similarly, but with more modern "machinery."
conda wrote:I started learning Godot recently, but still tinker around with GE because it's similar to how I used to make games back in the day.

I'm also looking at Godot, though admittedly, I'm a little distracted. Just out of curiosity, how did you make games back in the day?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby conda » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:58 am

conda wrote:I started learning Godot recently, but still tinker around with GE because it's similar to how I used to make games back in the day.

Turon wrote:I'm also looking at Godot, though admittedly, I'm a little distracted. Just out of curiosity, how did you make games back in the day?

Well, I'm dating myself here but I started on the Atari 800 using assembly language. That's how I taught myself. Then moved on to write game libraries using C and Assembler. In college I wrote a rather large graphics and games library that I sold to game developers which was written entirely in Assembly Language. You would compile it into your C code. It was used for many old DOS games. I sold off that company once Windows came out and moved on to that platform then eventually the web.

Now I just like doing remakes of old 8-bite type games, that's how I came across this tool. Godot is great, but requires too much of my time to master. Game Editor is so much easier. After I did Berzerk I decided to try a much harder game, Donkey Kong. Not sure that was a good idea as that is one tough game to replicate. I have the first board done, it just has a lot of bugs.
conda

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 pm

I forgot I posted here... Sorry I took so long to respond.
conda wrote:Well, I'm dating myself here but I started on the Atari 800 using assembly language. That's how I taught myself. Then moved on to write game libraries using C and Assembler. In college I wrote a rather large graphics and games library that I sold to game developers which was written entirely in Assembly Language. You would compile it into your C code. It was used for many old DOS games. I sold off that company once Windows came out and moved on to that platform then eventually the web.

Wow, you seem to be quite a veteran in this field! 8)
conda wrote:Now I just like doing remakes of old 8-bite type games, that's how I came across this tool. Godot is great, but requires too much of my time to master. Game Editor is so much easier. After I did Berzerk I decided to try a much harder game, Donkey Kong. Not sure that was a good idea as that is one tough game to replicate. I have the first board done, it just has a lot of bugs.

I haven't really got far at learning to use Godot... You say Game Editor is easier? That's interesting. I never mastered gameEditor tool in my time using it, is it easier for people that are already familiar with the C language? I had zero knowledge in any programming language, and I'm still by no means proficient in C.
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Return to Game Development