GE's Presentation

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

Re: GE's Presentation

Postby noonenew » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:51 am

the pacmans cool but that 3d looking one is fugly. even if you dont remove the pacman you should consider not making it so weird. the one we use in ge the default one looks better. i agree with hblade though
noonenew

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby rykein » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:22 am

the logo by omni does seem like it is tryin stare you down. :evil: almost kinda like that smily also i keep seing the sides as arms and hes wearing some shaman robe cuz he has beads. i know that isnt what it is but sure looks like it. i feel like with the arms and stubby legs itd do a dance.
rykein

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 pm

okay, I realized why I am kind of not liking any of them. It's not that they look bad, but I was thinking of Nintendo with the hugest mascots of all systems, Mario. He is the hugest known mascot, and look at his simplicity. I feel like our mascots are too overdone and we need to go the Mario way.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Bear in mind we are trying to come up with a logo. The mascot is usually what people use to make the text look unique. Mario also isn't used in the Nintendo logo. The reason Mario is a great mascot is that everyone knows Mario. So while it seems simple it really isn't, as Mario has years of background that we don't have. And as far as design goes a lot of the ideas here (if not all of them) are technically simpler than Mario...
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby ikarus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 am

I think we should keep a pacman like mascot, I like the image and what it represents, the heart of gaming. Why'd a creation like pacman ever get anywhere? Because the game right down to the simplistic center of it is fun. I definitely think it needs to be revamped a bit though, as the 3dish one with the weird tongue kinda gives me the creeps, but I always thought it was a good choice. I came up with my own simple pic to show what I mean by revamped, kinda retro-ish!
smiley.jpg

I've been kinda unsure about saying this, but then I found this thread. But I really think ge needs a name change too, not bashing the engine or anything cause I love it. But when looking for an engine, I came across ge and passed it over like three times before deciding to try it cause I thought it sounded more like a hobby project than something professional. And I really hope to eventually save for a pro license so I can get that logo off the beginning, not cause I don't want to promote ge but cause it kinda embarrasses me. If there was a more professional logo or especially name it'd be something I'd happily brandish in front of all my games! I remember when I first showed my game to some people where I live and I heard one woman comment "Ewww, you should really change your logo Isaiah". I've had to, a few times, explain to people that the engine logo's graphics don't represent my game's graphics, which isn't something I want to do. Please understand, just trying to give some constructive criticism cause I do want to be able to put ge's logo in my games.
If a name change is on the table I nominate Axis, in reference to the Axis Alliance from WWII, to represent an alliance through the engine within the war of platforms.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.code1011.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
ikarus

Score: 11 Give a positive score

Postby Kalladdolf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I quite like the look of your logos, honestly I do. They show great drawing skills, visual look-good-senses and whatnot.
But there are quite a few things that are important when it comes to finding a logo (not a mascot, I'm now talking about a logo here).
- Dimension-wise it should be as square as possible. That has major advantages when making a desktop icon / app icon for the iphone.
- It should still look good scaled down to tiny dimensions... like 16x16 (favicon for website). Therefore the amount of detail in a logo should be kept to a minimum.
The GE logo as it is serves that purpose just fine.
- While the amount of detail should be limited, it still should have something unique about it. A symmetry of some sort maybe.

Taking those points into consideration, here's what I came up with:

Aside from that, I also think a more pro-styled redesign of Game Editor (website, forum, maybe even GUI) would be appropriate. Take a look at Unity3d's presentation: unity3d.com
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby SuperSonic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Very nice :wink:
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah, a lot of the logos here were based off creating a mascot because the normal actor default icon is the gE icon. Of course most of them when thinking about that don't quite fit, but as far as logos are considered, yours is pretty amazing.
skydereign

Postby Game A Gogo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Amazing indeed! and inspirational... I'll attempt my own, time to google for a simple vector program, inkskape is too confusing for me to use (I can't even draw a line if that tells you that much)
Oh well, can't seem to find anything decent, so I'll try some other time
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:49 am

Now that I've stepped back a little, I realize all that would really need to be done to address my initial concerns, is to change the logo. For some reason I've been keeping the logo and the mascot connected. But, there really isn't a reason why a new logo can't be introduced while keeping the pacman as the default actor icon. It makes a lot more sense to do that, and that means the logo design isn't restricted to something that can take the pacman's place (and we wouldn't have to adjust to a new mascot).
skydereign

Postby Jagmaster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:16 pm

The Ge pacman for the default actor makes it a little bit more fun doesn't it? I had always wondered in the back of my mind when I first started "why aren't these actors just pain old circles or something?" -then I noticed the paths, so that answered that. So anyway, the Ge pacman could use some polishing up nonetheless.

I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I think ikarus had an interesting point concerning the name. I do think it will be rather difficult to change, and frankly I don't care what this tool is called because I haven't used anything so well... awesome! But I do have to explain to people from time to time that I'm not really "editing" games, rather creating them. Idk what name should replace it though, so perhaps I wasting my breath. :roll:
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby SuperSonic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 pm

But I do have to explain to people from time to time that I'm not really "editing" games, rather creating them

:lol: That reminds me when I first came across Game Editor. I thought it was something for "editing" games as well XD
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Postby EvanBlack » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Kalladdolf wrote:I
Taking those points into consideration, here's what I came up with:

Aside from that, I also think a more pro-styled redesign of Game Editor (website, forum, maybe even GUI) would be appropriate. Take a look at Unity3d's presentation: unity3d.com

I REALLY!!!!!!! Like this logo!!! Like!! It stands out from many logos, looks very professional, and references an obscure game type that just fits perfectly as a logo! Especially if the splash screen, the star in the middle came flying in and stops with a CHING and then a sheen glossed over the Game Editor name. OMG I can see it now!! Its intense!! This would really pull in peoples attention!

LOVE IT! I think that should be it!

To explain my feelings more towards it,

"Imagine... your sitting at your desk, you just got the latest game developed from a company you never heard of but the game came prepackaged with some hardware you bought. You pop the game on, the first thing you see, a black screen.. did it freeze, then suddenly, a stream of light shoots across the screen with a distance whoosh, then the star flys in from the left -CHING- , it stops. The hexagons draw themselves out as the GAME EDITOR label appears and a sheen drives across its surface. Then the game goes to the Intro Video for the game."

Already, its intense, it has your attention, it makes you want to know more about it. And it sets up the mood for the game.

Also you can make several splash screens for different game genres such as if your making learning games for kids you can make the splash screen more fluffy.

As for a mascot.. why don't we try to have like a character design contest, who ever can make the most memorable, lovable, and ideal game character, wins. Then use it in a game and that should be the mascot. I mean mascots need to be memorable but also should be noticeable and original. Nintendo used a plumber, Sega had Sonic, Sony had Crash Bandicoot, Dreamcast had the guy from Nights, Pacman became the most memoriable and Mascot for Arcades.

And, the new website design. I like it, but I just don't like the little green guy. He is ugly looking, kinda scary, and haunting. His eyes feel like they are peering into my soul. By ugly, I mean it might drive some people away from it. He also looks a lot like the android guy..
Attachments
compare.png
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:52 am

I like the idea of our GE pacman. Glad you think you should keep him. :D
n n <. . . . . /\
O O
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 am

Did anyone know that unity has a "powered by unity" splash screen that closely resembles GE's screen? lol that was probably intentional.
I like this new design. If Makslane is willing, a new title could be something to think about as well. But then again, perhaps not. Ge has had it's name for a long time. We might not want to mess with that.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to General