The Game I'm Making

Talk about making games.

The Game I'm Making

Postby FirbleMan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi, I made this topic in hopes of getting my GE questions answered in order to make my game as perfect as possible.
First, is there a way to change the game frame rate during play?
Second, why are parent actors getting covered by their children? How can I stop this?
FirbleMan

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Re: The Game I'm Making

Postby Zivouhr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:43 am

FirbleMan wrote:Hi, I made this topic in hopes of getting my GE questions answered in order to make my game as perfect as possible.
First, is there a way to change the game frame rate during play?
Second, why are parent actors getting covered by their children? How can I stop this?

I'm not a pro at C, but as far as changing the frame rate, the only way I know is in the game properties section. But to change it during gameplay, not sure if that's possible. I wish GE had more features, but I'm pretty certain all development has ceased for awhile now, as I haven't heard back from Skydereign about that update to allow for an adjustable window size during gameplay.

From what I understand of your question, the actors that are parented to a main actor will follow the main parent actor wherever it goes, it's like linking them together. If they're covering the parent, it could mean they're under the influence of the "move to" command of the parent, not sure. If you don't want the parent covered by the underlings, a physicalresponse command of 1,1,0,0 will prevent them from overlapping. Not sure otherwise.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby FirbleMan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 am

Thanks Zivouhr, the issue with the child actors was z-depth. Child actors inherit their parents' z-depth, and cant be changed. I fixed it with transparency (setting it to just one away from completely transparent), they were just for collision detection.
Now I've found a better way that doesn't use them at all.
FirbleMan

Postby Zivouhr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 pm

FirbleMan wrote:Thanks Zivouhr, the issue with the child actors was z-depth. Child actors inherit their parents' z-depth, and cant be changed. I fixed it with transparency (setting it to just one away from completely transparent), they were just for collision detection.
Now I've found a better way that doesn't use them at all.

Sounds good, glad you were able to solve it. 8)
Zivouhr

Postby FirbleMan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:31 am

Hello again,
I am seeking a partner to help develop the enemy artificial intelligence for a game I need to finish. I am looking for someone who is very knowledgeable in C or Game editor(or Both). While I cannot offer money(I do not plan on making any on this as it is a gift), I will give you the source code and put you in the credits. Please Message me with a "Resumé" if you are interested.
Thank you in advance!
Firble Man.
FirbleMan

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Good luck with the project and enjoy creating in Game Editor.
Zivouhr

Postby FirbleMan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Has anyone been able to export a game that runs successfully on Mac OS X?
I am having the hardest time getting my game to export and run!
FirbleMan

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 pm

FirbleMan wrote:Has anyone been able to export a game that runs successfully on Mac OS X?
I am having the hardest time getting my game to export and run!

What kind of difficulties are you having with getting the game to export?
For being able to run the game you probably have to give yourself the rights to execute the file as a program. See this topic for instructions on how to do that: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11872
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby FirbleMan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Thanks for the quick response lcl!
I tried to give myself the rights to execute it, like you said, and nothing happened.
as for exporting, it seem Game Editor 1.4.1beta can't export for Mac OS X, which is the version I made it in...The version of the game I've been using was remade in 1.4.0.
Here is the source code and mac version of the game, if anyone wants to try it for themselves.(please note, It will try to load Title_Screen.bin right away. you might want to remove View's Create Actor->Script Editor's LoadGame line.)
Thanks for taking a look!
Attachments
Launcher.zip
(9.99 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
FirbleMan

Postby tdmxross » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:01 am

FirbleMan wrote:Hello again,
I am seeking a partner to help develop the enemy artificial intelligence for a game I need to finish. I am looking for someone who is very knowledgeable in C or Game editor(or Both). While I cannot offer money(I do not plan on making any on this as it is a gift), I will give you the source code and put you in the credits. Please Message me with a "Resumé" if you are interested.
Thank you in advance!
Firble Man.

hello there! i'm not a pro at C, but pretty familiar with game editor. if you want me to help you out with graphics and some programming, let me know. :D
( i can't program any AI or such complicated things, but i find other ways to make it work)
GE is better than every single game engine
tdmxross

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby FirbleMan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 am

Thanks tdmxross! I have achieved a sufficient AI, and my game is almost done! Right now all I'm struggling with is getting it to export to Mac for my sound guy to use. If you can make it work I'd be very grateful. I think there is source code in my last post for you to mess with.
Thanks again! It's nice to know I can come to you for help!
FirbleMan

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 am

Hello, sorry for taking a while to answer. I don't own a Mac, so I can't test it on the right platfrom just yet. But I will have access to a Mac this weekend, so you can expect an answer from me by then.

One thing wrong with your launcher is the way you're using LoadGame();. The function only looks for a file in the folder where the launcher is, so the function call should only contain the name of the file to load, not the path to it.
Code: Select all
LoadGame("A:\\Title_Screen.bin"); // Your current code

LoadGame("Title_Screen.bin"); // The correct code
lcl

Postby FirbleMan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Thank you for taking the time to help me lcl! :D
I will be out of the country from the 28th to the 14th, so sorry if I don't get back to you regarding your research with the Mac version before the 14th.
As for the LoadGame issue, that was leftover from an attempt to load the game from the floppy drive.
Here is a fixed one that loads the game from the same directory as the launcher.
Attachments
Launcher2.7.zip
Fixed an issue brought up by lcl
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
FirbleMan

Postby FirbleMan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 pm

How did your research on the Mac version go, LCL?
FirbleMan

Postby lcl » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 pm

FirbleMan wrote:How did your research on the Mac version go, LCL?

Oh, sorry, I totally forgot about it :roll: I'll be able to test it on a Mac this weekend. This time I'll hopefully remember it :P
lcl

Next

Return to Game Development