animation

Don't know how to make something and can't find a tutorial? Ask for one here.

animation

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 pm

I am confused with animation, I never learned it as I never tried to make a game that required it. How do you make an animation, I would rather have a picture explanation. When I say that, I mean walking animation when you press left arrow down or right, up or down. I feel like knowing in case I enter the May tournament that I thought of the theme already for.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Re: animation

Postby skydereign » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:29 pm

All it is is an image cut up into smaller frames. Each frame shows the image slightly changed, giving the illusion of movement. That is all there is to it. Here is an example image. That animation is cut up into 8 frames. Each one shows a slightly different image, when strung together shows the actor running.
Attachments
r_run.png
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 pm

I am confused still. How do you add that in GE.
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby skydereign » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 am

Ok... now you aren't thinking about, or trying to figure this out. I'm not trying to be mean or harsh, but you will learn a lot more if you apply yourself (which it doesn't appear you are at all). I hope that you have at least a hunch on how to add that animation into your game. Even if you don't, you know how to add images so you might try looking at that. Hint, in the actor control panel, there is a button called [Add Animation] (second hint, it's what you want). You can't rely on the forums to learn everything, most of it is usually learned from experimentation (hands on attempts).
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 am

well, I found out that you are able to add more than one animation to an actor. No wonder.
NightOfHorror

Postby lcl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:31 am

NightOfHorror wrote:well, I found out that you are able to add more than one animation to an actor. No wonder.

Oh come on!
Did that mean you still didn't understand what sky just told you?
He is trying to help you by pointing you the direction, not feeding you the needed information as if you were a baby without ability to do anything on your own. :wink:

When you add animation, there is Horizontal and Vertical frames.
Experiment with those and the world of animations in GE will open for you. :)

Sorry if this sounded bad, it just isn't nice to see how sky is trying to help you but you are not trying to learn.
OF COURSE I might have misunderstood your previous message totally (I'm a Finn still XD) and in that case you can fully ignore this post. :lol:

- lcl -
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Return to Tutorial Requests