another GM convert, mobile development

Learn how to start making games.

another GM convert, mobile development

Postby unit » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:43 pm

hi, my name is ben, from australia.
have a few years experience with the GM6.1 reg (no longer supported it seems)

recently got a mobile phone (game editor can develop app/game for nokia lumia 635 & other series?)
..was hoping to develop small RPG's & other games for it & other phones
(a remake of something like the original "bards-tale" engine~ with many modifications, original story etc ...maybe even a tactical battle system, like the old SSI games)

for now i'd like to learn more on GE here, and start with a small game, and see if my phone can run it
if all this goes well, can pay for reg' version & hopefully develop my RPG finally..

thanks for your time, will spend the next few days learning more about GE.. seems similar to GM6 yet more robust.
unit

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: another GM convert, mobile development

Postby Turon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Hello unit welcome to gE! :)
unit wrote:have a few years experience with the GM6.1 reg (no longer supported it seems)

I'm afraid gE is quite ancient as well, last version was a 1.4.1 Beta from 2013...Though why were you sticking
to a old GM version?
unit wrote:recently got a mobile phone (game editor can develop app/game for nokia lumia 635 & other series?)

Well Game Editor has never supported Symbian and there is a difference between a Windows Mobile and a Windows Phone so I'm afraid your phone might be unsupported (We have got iOS and experimental Android support though)
unit wrote:..was hoping to develop small RPG's & other games for it & other phones
(a remake of something like the original "bards-tale" engine~ with many modifications, original story etc ...maybe even a tactical battle system, like the old SSI games)

Sounds great I love a good RPG! What is the "bards-tale engine"? SSI, what's that?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby unit » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Friendly greetings, posting from mobile plz excuse brevity

Used gm due to financial constraints mostly, life very hectic also, sought easy access programming as escape & hobby,was able to push gm to it's limits with 3D & dll, ran into tech. Issues & lack of programming knowledge ...thnx for info on GE, noticed forum was quiet..

The bard's tale (engine) is the game engine (GUI, etc) used for the classic 80's game Bard's tale (also wizardry, etc)
The SSI games are also old msdos material, actual dungeons & dragons games, which use a similar overworld interface as bard's tale but have a fantastic tactical battle engine (allowing for movement etc, emulating to some degree a tabletop d&d session)

Tyvm for the info, hope to develop one day with friendly folks such as yourself
unit

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:23 am

unit wrote:Used gm due to financial constraints mostly

I mean why use GM6? Isn't GamMaker Studio the latest version? (Not that I've ever been drawn to GM)
unit wrote:noticed forum was quiet..

Yeah GE has been dwindling to extinction through the ages and it's simply accelerated since a certain programmer was banned for threatening to hack us. Game Editor is fine for iOS as for now but many frameworks that make GE work are apparently outdated. GE might still be a nice way to begin aproaching the C language from.
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Return to Getting Started