Fix sound on Linux?

Linux specific questions and discussion

Fix sound on Linux?

Postby Lacotemale » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Is there anyway that sound support can be fixed for Linux?

support PulseAudio maybe? (since its now default in all Linux installs)
Lacotemale

Score: 7 Give a positive score

Re: Fix sound on Linux?

Postby skydereign » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 pm

I agree this should be fixed... there is some source in the tree for pulseaudio, but as of last time I asked, Linux sound is not a priority for the devs....
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Lacotemale » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 pm

I found out I can run games in WINE if I want to get sound! :D However thats not great if you are trying to make a game... unless I export to .exe if I want to test my sounds. :?

Do you know what the priority of development is? I would like to see PulseAudio supported fairly soon.
Lacotemale

Postby schnellboot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:43 pm

first priority is..
android port :D
I hope .. hehe
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:10 am

I'll just say it is probably faster to find a developer to do it, then expect the current devs to fix it. If it is necessary for android, then it will be done, but until android is done, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I haven't tried this, but you might be able to run a virtual machine of a old version of Linux that supports legacy sound. I personally have a second boot of my Fedora 10, so if I need sound I can always jump back. Seeing as there are only two developers, and one active, they are quite busy with other things...
skydereign

Postby akr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:52 am

I am running Kubuntu 10 without problems. What linux are u using?
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:58 am

Fedora 13 for me. Does kubuntu support oss? The reason my previous setup worked was because it supported oss, but now that they removed support for it, sound no longer works.
skydereign

Postby Lacotemale » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Well at the moment im using Ubuntu 10.10... I could try installing SDL OSS support but that would remove "ubuntu-desktop" package. This package removes important system software so it would be a really bad idea! :D
Lacotemale

Postby akr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:17 pm

I have a standard kubuntu installation with nothing special. My kubuntu has Android SDK/NDK, eclipse and compilers installed.Nothing else.

Current driver is:

SDL_AUD = ../../../../output//SDL_dmaaudio.o ../../../../output//SDL_dspaudio.o

Linux ge uses older SDL1.2. Following sound drivers exist. Which one would work on more linuxes? alsa?

alsa
arts
baudio
dc
disk
dma
dmedia
dsp
esd
macrom
mint
mme
nas
nto
openbsd
paudio
riscos

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Postby Lacotemale » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Yes but having Game Editor working on your own installation isn't great for the rest of Game Editor Linux users.

Plus at this stage PulseAudio is the default sound system and will be for a long time im sure.

The problem with using OSS is that many or most distributions are stripping it out. If you decide to switch to PulseAudio you won't break anything on Kubuntu since its using PulseAudio too.

Kubuntu now uses the PulseAudio sound server by default. Building on the efforts of Ubuntu over the last several release cycles, this system is now used by Kubuntu to give users enhanced configurability, flexibility and ease of use. System Settings and KMix have been updated to enhance Pulseaudio control integration.
Lacotemale

Postby akr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:55 pm

This is the reason why i am asking. What about ALSA? This could be done with reasonable effort.

akr

Postby Lacotemale » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 pm

Well although im a developer I don't deal with this kind of programming. However as far as I understand it ALSA is more directly related/linked to PulseAudio than OSS so it couldn't be any worse.

Linux distributions are likely to have better support for ALSA than OSS because ALSA is a requirement of PulseAudio.
Lacotemale

Postby skydereign » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 pm

You should probably try pulseaudio, as alsa uses pulseaudio, and there could be conflicts. Using pulse would prevent any conflict (if there are any to begin with) but if there are none, alsa is fine, as pulse uses alsa.
skydereign

Postby Lacotemale » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Yes if you can support PulseAudio directly that would be great but if not then try ALSA.
Lacotemale

Postby 247wkman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:13 pm

i wanted to confirm compatibility of g.e (i use w7 on my main hdd and live usb ubuntu 10.4 for internet etc)
i got no sound from the incursion demo. running as a project in game mode or as an exported linux dist.
i read this chat looking for a solution and seeing this "pulse audio" mentioned i jumped into synaptic package manager, and installed anything name related (this noob may just have inadvertently killed his install!)
the result was that i got sound fx!
music is still not working but i assume its because my install needs another package to pick up on it- i will back up first.
using exe in wine turns all sound into a stuttered mess. hope these are isolated cases.... . . .
247wkman

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Next

Return to Linux