Can I use Game Editor to create my own simulator?

Learn how to start making games.

Can I use Game Editor to create my own simulator?

Postby hermesalpha » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:35 am

I want to make my own simulator for harness racing, and wonder if Game Editor would be suitable for that purpose?

I don't have any programming skills yet, but am beginning to learn more and more. Can I still use Game Editor with my limited programming skills?

The way I want to create my harness racing simulator is this:

Graphics is not important as long as I can make identifiable objects (forms like rectangles) that I in great detail can control and govern the movements for on a regular-shaped ellipse. The control and governing of the objects (totally 15 at most; can also be any number less than 15, like 12 horses, 10 horses etc.) should be based on the values I have input. Or rather, I want these parameter values to be automatically input from an Excel that I connect to this Game Editor simulator.

This regular-shaped ellipse differs somewhat between the different racing tracks, just like in real life where there are tracks that are 1,000 metres in circumference (most common), 1,609 metres, 800 metres, and so on. And also the stretches (as opposed to the curves) differ in length between the different racing tracks: some racing tracks have longer stretches whereas others have shorter stretches (and longer curves).

So in this simulator I want to create, there should be options for input of a wide range of different parameters that affect the outcome of the race (which horse wins the race?).

Furthermore, it is important that all the measurements are according to scale.

Other features I need:

- Possible to run the race in short intervals (run and stop, run and stop, ...) each 100 metres or 50 metres or 200 metres, and each time being able to move the horses on the track.
- Possible to run the whole race in one go after I have run it several times in short intervals (run the whole race automatically with my parameters optimised by manual trial and error).
- Very detailed and accurate correspondence of the whole track in Game Editor to the real-life racing track (so that x pixel on y position on the track in Game Editor corresponds exactly to 2 metres on y position on the real-life harness racing track).

Would all above be possible to achieve with Game Editor? If so, what platform/operative system would be most suitable to use between Windows and Mac to write this simulator?
hermesalpha

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Can I use Game Editor to create my own simulator?

Postby MrJolteon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 am

This is, unfortunately, not possible with Game Editor. For a project like this you're probably better off using Unity or something similar.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Re: Can I use Game Editor to create my own simulator?

Postby hermesalpha » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks Mr Jolteon, Unity seems like a good option for me, will try that.
hermesalpha

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Return to Getting Started