Platform Template!

Learn how to start making games.

Re: Platform Template!

Postby johnno56 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:38 am

I am relatively new to GE and would like to learn "the ropes" and try to make some games for my grandkids.

I am not aware of the correct procedure of using the template. If I use it, is it customary, to give credit to the author? (most cases this is true, but unsure about GE)

Second question: If I use the template, am I permitted to modify or replace any of the characters?

Regards

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
johnno56

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:06 pm

johnno56 wrote:I am not aware of the correct procedure of using the template. If I use it, is it customary, to give credit to the author? (most cases this is true, but unsure about GE)

Second question: If I use the template, am I permitted to modify or replace any of the characters?

This is addressed in the first post. You only need to give credit if the creator of the template says you need to. In this case RippeR7420 says you don't need to give credit (in the first post) and that you can swap out the graphics if you want to.
RippeR7420 wrote: hope this helps someone out there. If you feel confused or lost, PM me, and I will do my best to explain it to you!
No credit needed, and feel free to use any of the graphics in this template, or just switch them out for your own graphics!
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby kickstart » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Hey great template, it would be awesome if you made an iPhone platformer template!
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby marcus » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Hello @RippeR7420,

You template is awesome, thanks for sharing that! I'm starting on GE and this template sure will help a lot.

But I having a little problem with the score thing... I copied all the things I think is necessary for doing the score works in my game (the coins, the actor Score and the variable SCORE), but didn't work. The coins are there and are destroyed when colide with player, but the Score (the actor) animation don't change to numbers, the GE's pacman still in the screen. The steps to make a score like yours working have to be done in a certain order? I forget to include anything? What tips you can give me to make this work?

Thanks for the attention, and sorry for my bad english.

=]
marcus

Postby marcus » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Hello all,

I tried searching for a while and founded! In the "Actor Control" window, you have to click on the "Text" button and insert the text you want!

=]
marcus

Postby marcus » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Hello,

Now I'm having troubles with the Lives sistem; every time my game starts my character loses one live. Futhermore, when I get hit by one enemy, the character vanishes from the screen and didn't come back (but this, I think, is one problem of screen coordinates - you think can be that?). The steps I have done:

1 - Added a "Create Actor -> Create Time" event on main character;
2 - Added a "Timer" event on main character;
3 - Copy+Paste the script to respawn;
4 - Declared the LIFES, DEAD and STATE variables;
5 - Put a Colision Event with the script "LIFES-=1" on an enemy;
6 - Put a Colision -> Destroy Actor (main character) on the same enemy.

But didn't work. What can I do?

=]
marcus

Postby DeltaLeeds » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 am

marcus wrote:6 - Put a Colision -> Destroy Actor (main character) on the same enemy.
=]

If the main character is "Event Actor", that's your problem (About the character vanishing from the screen and not coming back.). Making the dead script with the Enemy01's script (Collision (Left or Right Side of player) in the demo will fix the problem. DestroyActor will make the main character destroyed permanently, until the game is restarted or if something spawns the player with a timer or other code.

As for the lose one life problem, did you create actor for the life actor yet? Create Actor-> Script Editor-> LIFES=<Amount of Lives>.
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Sat May 31, 2014 5:18 pm

RipperR,

Thank you for offering this invaluable demo to learn the basics of Game Editor with. I refer to this example any time I have some questions about how you were able to make things work, like having the enemy face the player each time, or getting points to work, player lives to work, respawning, etc. A major help for beginners and those new to C language. Your helpful Platform demo helped me really get the hang of Game Editor and scripting much quicker than I would have without it. Thanks again! 8)
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Previous

Return to Getting Started