Moon Defender Help

Learn how to start making games.

Moon Defender Help

Postby chucknerd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm

I think this would probably the best place to put this thread since, in "Tutorials" Moon Defender is the first place to "Get Started"

I finished the tutorials, which is extremely hard to read with the grid in the background btw, and now I'm in the troubleshooting phase. Right off, the "trace" repeats itself even when "car" jumps and "sand" is animated the entire time and the sound is constant like a car motor. Also, these "trace" traces stay on the screen when you go back and forth from game mode to editing mode. Also, I think the rockets are flying behind "panel" I know most likely i need to put "rocket" in front of panel. Also, isnt "car" supposed to die? My actor wont die when his health is gone.

I'm going to go back through the tutorial to see what I've done wrong, if any. I feel like I followed the tutorial pretty well but you know how that goes, that's why I'm double checking. Any hints on what I missed while I try to fix it?

Also, i've been trying to look for Moon Defender threads if you could help me out as well. I searched for them and could not find anywhere that people were talking about just starting on moon defender and having problems. Also, I want to use mouse to shoot. The controls or this game are ridiculous. I don't see how I'm supposed to move with the arrows with one hand, move the cannon with the other hand, and jump. However, I did change jump to the up arrow so that helped. I just don't want to use R-CTRL for firing, I want Left Mouse.

I know there is a load of information and questions in this thread but, I couldn't find any answers in the forum, not yet anyway.
Last edited by chucknerd on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chucknerd

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Moon Defender Help

Postby chucknerd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:50 pm

UPDATE: The traces staying from going between Game Mode and Editing Mode have ceased randomly. I'll update if it comes back.
chucknerd

Postby skydereign » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 pm

chucknerd wrote:UPDATE: The traces staying from going between Game Mode and Editing Mode have ceased randomly. I'll update if it comes back.

That's a glitch in gameEditor, it isn't a product of doing something right or wrong in the tutorial. The tutorial isn't perfect, and was created a long time ago, which may account for some of the odd game behaviour. Most users learn from the built in tutorials accessed by clicking Help -> Demo Making Of.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby chucknerd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:05 am

Thanks Sky. What do you suggest I do from here then? Move on from this game and work on more tutorials or try to make this one work? I mean it basically did what it was supposed to do, help me learn the Game-editor.
chucknerd

Postby skydereign » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm

chucknerd wrote:What do you suggest I do from here then?

It depends on you. After the first tutorials, I just started fiddling with gameEditor, trying to make things I didn't know how to. A lot of that was working on a single game, but I did all sorts of things, and learned the ins and outs. Anything I didn't know, I searched the script reference and forums. To me that was the best way to learn. So if that sounds appealing to you, I'd suggest that. Basically, the way you get better with gE is to make things with it, you could follow more tutorials to do that, or you can start exploring it yourself.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Return to Getting Started