Game-Editor Resolution Management

Talk about making games.

Game-Editor Resolution Management

Postby bat78 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:57 am

In response to a discussion we have had with Iverona, I created a quick and easy resolution handling for Game-Editor.
The first member to create a resolution API is LcL. I haven't tried it, but you can check it (here)

How to?
All you have to do is build your game in the .ged that I will upload or merge it, select the desired resolution from the Game Options and that's it.
You can select the default resolution of your sprites from the global code, which is set by 640x480 by default and if you don't like to scale up some actor, put this:
Code: Select all
internal = true;

in its Create Actor event.
Just make sure that your actors are within the canvas area, which is resized to support up to 1920x1440 but you can obviously resize it however you want.

Note that this is a quick and easy approach to handle resolutions. It is NOT optimized, because the goal was to be simple and easy to use.
You can optimize it yourself. You can create an update function to update actors individually whenever they require a redraw.
For commercial games, I'd recommend implementing a loading screen first, to make sure that the first thing the user sees is what he is supposed to.

If you are hoping for a game-editor version that deals with every problem - check out Game-Editor2

geres.rar
(40.37 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by bat78 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Resolution Management

Postby lcl » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 pm

You linked the ancient v1.0 of Resolutionary. For an optimized and more feature complete version check the Resolutionary documentation site.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:11 am

lcl wrote:You linked the ancient v1.0 of Resolutionary. For an optimized and more feature complete version check the Resolutionary documentation site.

:o Oh wow!
I just googled it and I thought that's it.
I never even know you have a website and such a dedicated release of that project!
Why didn't you put a link to it in the old post though?
Also, the versioning seems to be quite identical, so even if I knew about the website I wouldn't know if it is different.

Either way, sorry about that :mrgreen:

I just created an easy to use, spoiled mini version but if nobody likes it, I can delete the post, I don't really care
PS. Updated link
bat78

Postby lcl » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Well yeah, the problem is that I never really published the updated project on the forums for some reason. I did share it on Discord though. I had plans of making tutorials for how to get started with it, and in my mind I thought I'd publish it when I get those done, but I never got around to it. And yeah, you're right, the versioning is a bit weird. It's just that I don't regard the original, old implementation as anything more than a proof-of-concept. The new version is fully featured with optimizations. It also supports mouse input.

This version doesn't seem to scale coordinates at all. :|
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:49 am

This version doesn't seem to scale coordinates at all. :|

geres.ged
(19.63 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
bat78

Return to Game Development