A Question About the Source Code and Modyfying Game Editor

Game Editor comments and discussion.

A Question About the Source Code and Modyfying Game Editor

Postby geraldegivens » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm

I like game editor for what it is, in my opinion its one of the best tools for 2D Game Designing.

Its just that Game Editor does not export to all the Systems I would like it to, and although
many people on this forum have requested it the export to the system is never granted.

I have heard that you can access the source code of Game Editor and modify some of the things
in the software, if so then is it possible to add your own export features like adding Game Boy support
and SNES etc.?
geraldegivens

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: A Question About the Source Code and Modyfying Game Edit

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello, and welcome to the GE forum!

Well, it is indeed possible to modify the software, as it is completely open source. And yes, that includes the addition of adding support for more platforms to export to. However, Game Boy and SNES are pretty much out of the question - those consoles are very old and they're not built to handle programs as complex as the Game Editor game engine is.

Also, adding ports is not an easy task. One would have to program the Game Editor game engine to work on the desired platform, and this would require extensive knowledge of the target platform and its software development kit.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Ehman » Sat May 05, 2018 12:26 am

Game boy or SNES

What of android (. apk)?
Ehman

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby tdmxross » Wed May 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Ehman wrote:
Game boy or SNES

What of android (. apk)?

Android applications ( .apk ) are surely very complicated. i don't think we can export android application only using game editor. :(
but hey! there are lots of softwares for android application development, but making Android applications is no easy task. I would like to tell you that mobile gaming industry has a lot of big developers like Electronic Arts and Gameloft. if you want to compete with them, you surely need to build a brilliant game. this is not the case in Pc gaming. there are some websites only for indie game devs, who help to grow us. also, pc indie games such as undertale and stardew valley are a huge success.
GE is better than every single game engine
tdmxross

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby Kcee » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 am

Here's how to create an android game http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11454. But like tdmxross said; it's very complicated.
Currently working on: Super Stick Brawl.
Kcee

Score: 13 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Kcee wrote:Here's how to create an android game [*link removed from quote*]. But like tdmxross said; it's very complicated.

That tutorial is outdated. Trying to build an Android .apk by following those instructions is most likely not going to be successful anymore. The dependencies have received many updates and may function differently. Also, the download links might be rotten by now. (Link rot: Wikipedia)

I'll add these warnings to the topic itself, too.
lcl

Postby Kcee » Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Does that mean there's no possible way to do it?
Currently working on: Super Stick Brawl.
Kcee

Score: 13 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu May 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Kcee wrote:Does that mean there's no possible way to do it?

Pretty much. Of course, there still is a slight chance that it could be accomplished - it's been done before, after all. But there is no tutorial to follow, so it'd be a challenging task, as one would have to figure most of it out by themselves. And given the fact that there's no guarantee of any results, I don't think there's a lot of people willing to give it a shot.

Also, even if one somehow managed to build the .apk, there's not much one could do with it. The geandroid was not finished when the work on it stopped, and thus, there's some problems with it. For example, different Android phones use very different resolutions and aspect ratios and so, for an application or a game to be usable on different phones, it is essential for the program to be able to adapt to different screen sizes. And geandroid doesn't support that. That fact alone makes geandroid in its current state not suitable for publishing games. And there's other problems as well. So, besides the curiosity of seeing your game run on your phone, there's not much to be gained by doing any of it.
lcl

Return to GE - General