Allow us to use another script inline

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Allow us to use another script inline

Postby themightymekon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Hello Staff,

I understand what The Game Editor is now:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13493

May I suggest, that a helper utility be made and plugged into the compiler. My knowledge is too low to help in scripting that, but from what I have read in scripting languages, that I looked at, it will be a 'trivial' task for any good programmer. It should not involve too many lines of code to swell the size of GE.

I must enumerate the scripting languages I encountered here. These were built specifically to be scripts which can be contained in the scripting of another language, to add functionality, which did not exist in that language:

LUA
GUI4CLI
AUTOHOTKEY
FORTH
TINY C COMPILER

For years, I have read up on many programmer languages. They each had different utility built in. Some are good for string and file handling, e.g. AWK [gawk, nawk], and AUTOHOTKEY. Others are good at constructing a custom window form, e.g. GUI4CLI. The above list, includes only those which I found, which include instructions, on how to use them as function calls, from within another scripting language. There may be many others, which I have not yet encountered.

Having said this; some of these are purely for windows users, and there may be scripting languages for other OS, which you know of.

So I am suggesting that a utility be built onto GE, to allow us to use another script inline, to allow things like a messagebox, a programmer editor, a listview for a league table for example, in a game; to be invoked with very few words. From the descriptions I have read, this should be easily within reach.

I try not to reinvent the wheel, and I saw a thread in the forum suggesting template games,
[ http://game-editor.com/forum/search.php?keywords=template], which is also a good idea, in a similar vein. Only people with a natural interest and talent for text find the typing of instructions easy. Many other people who lack those natural abilities, have brilliant ideas, which they can not put into practise, as they find the text impenetrable; thus they dont enjoy writing it. So easy to use tools are an essential.

Although you provide a nice, easy to use, text actor, it would be beyond most people, to make even a simple text editor. In windows at least, these objects are automatically available, ready to use in GUI4CLI.

If any of you has sufficient experience in programming GE to tackle this extension of the script, I have several other good ideas, which I will be pleased to share on that topic.

Regards,
themightymekon
themightymekon

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests