City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Talk about making games.

Re: City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Postby Zivouhr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm

speckford123 wrote:Oh hey, looks great!
Also, glad I was able to help 2 years ago, I just now noticed the reply, haha.

Thanks a lot, Speckford! 8)

I was finally able to complete Streets of Rott in my spare time, so while it's not a perfect game and won't appeal to all gamers, it's the type of beat 'em up game I wanted to make for years. A lot of the player's success will depend on blasting the rubble and junk cars on the street, a key strategy for defeating the overpowered bosses.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Check PM Ziv! I don't check the forums much anymore. :(
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 pm

jonathang wrote:Check PM Ziv! I don't check the forums much anymore. :(

Thanks a lot, Jonathang.

EDIT:
Thanks again for the feedback on the game:

Some new things that will be added in an update before the game releases Tuesday:
Bullets now only hurt most enemies when lined up with them, no longer able to shoot the legs of most. It's tougher, but more realistic as far as being on the same plane horizontally. if beneath them, the bullets will pass over their legs. The key was to figure a way to parent the bullet to the front zdepth, so it would pass in front of the enemy, but for technical reasons, it wasn't working till I finally solved it this week with some extra spare time. The coding for getting the bullet to impact the enemy from the torso up took some trial and error also, but finally got it for most enemies. The bosses, you'll be able to attack their legs with the guns, since they're larger.

Barrels much better collision against the basic starting zombies. Easier to defeat them with barrels now. Solution was "repeat On", not off.

Worms and some other smaller creatures won't hurt the player until they reach the player's legs, instead of their head. Better collision detection now. Same for the zombie feasters and some other enemies.

The fight moves are easier to string together now to create your own style, for b down into space. Before, it would be delayed.

Smaller, weaker enemies no longer bounce the player back. Player stands in place but takes a hit, yet can fight back faster.

Adding a pause button worked, but not for the timers, so a lot of testing to make sure the menus don't unpause and spawn enemies, while making sure unpausing during the game respawns enemies.

A good amount of other minor fixes.
Zivouhr

Postby MrJolteon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Moved to showcase :wink:

Edit: Moved back because I did something wrong.
Edit 2: There, should work fine now.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:24 pm

MrJolteon wrote:Moved to showcase :wink:

Edit: Moved back because I did something wrong.
Edit 2: There, should work fine now.

Thanks a lot Mr Jolteon! I appreciate it.

---------------
City of Rott: Streets of Rott now available on Steam at http://store.steampowered.com/app/580880
and made with Game Editor. Thanks to the Forum members for the tips, suggestions and feedback for the game! 8)

As with any game, there are still a few things I would like to refine with more time, but it's nice to finally have the game available after 1.5 years or so of development in my spare time. Regardless of how well it does or not, and what people think of the final game, it's still cool to see Game Editor software is capable of running on the global Steam player and digital video game store.
Zivouhr

Postby DeltaLeeds » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:01 pm

I reviewed your game in steam under the name DeltaLeeds. Hopefully other people will play it then, I'll also play it some more now that it's fully released! I'll give feedback whenever necessary. Again, awesome job for releasing a gE game on steam Ziv. ;)
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Postby Zivouhr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 am

jonathang wrote:I reviewed your game in steam under the name DeltaLeeds. Hopefully other people will play it then, I'll also play it some more now that it's fully released! I'll give feedback whenever necessary. Again, awesome job for releasing a gE game on steam Ziv. ;)

Thanks a lot Jonathang. I definitely appreciate your constructive feedback. 8)
The game now includes that pause mode, so that should help the interface a little, among some other adjustments and updates. There are still things I discover that could be improved along the way, since there are thousands of variables that can occur based on different situations in any game.

However things turn out in the end, it will be a valuable experience to learn from and improve. 8)

EDIT: So week 1 has almost passed since it was released onto Steam. It's earning decent sales, though I need to do more marketing even though I tried letting gamers know about the game since I first began working on it through indiedb, gamejolt, youtube, etc. The constructive reviews are helpful, and with them I've added the following updates so far:

UPDATE 1: Feb 17, 2017 to City of Rott: Streets of Rott game on Steam.
The first update was to improve the hit detection for enemies hurting the player, while also adding some other minor improvements.
The second update I'm about to activate soon, will be to improve hit detection of the player hitting the enemies. It's more precise now, requiring the player to be more aligned to hit the enemy. It also will include a new rotating mini orb weapon, like an option that rotates around the player, hurting nearby enemies.

I would like to add controller support, but am having technical issues with my OS recognizing a PS3 original controller and 360 3rd party controller. It says connected, but no response in game editor. Only when I use a controller keyboard key remapping software, does it respond perfectly, but I'm guessing most gamers don't use those tools for their controllers and rather have it automatic.

UPDATE 2: February 19, 2017: Size 520 MB, automatically overwrites prior game file.
+Adjusted Collision Detection of enemies being hurt by player, requiring more precision when lining up attacks.
+Added new Orbitor Weapon option. You can have 1 or more orbitors rotating around the player for multi hit destruction.
+Bullets now much more effective when hitting foreground overlapping enemies while also going past barrels and boxes.
+Other minor adjustments and fixes.

The bullet particle actors were tricky, but were resolved by switching parent actors for the bullet, so when it repeated ON & passed over a box Collision Event, it became parented to a foreground object (offscreen) so it could pass over the box instead of behind it by default, and then they would exit passed with a collision finish event added to return the bullet actor to No Parent, thus allowing it to affect the monsters individually again. Until I did that, the bullet would pass over the box, but then miss the monster completely since it was still parented to the foreground object offscreen. After I added the collision finish, it helped solve the problem.
Zivouhr

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:31 pm

For being the first game editor game on steam, with trading cards even, this really should be showcased in the forums! I'm still wondering why this hasn't been showcased yet...
DeltaLeeds

Postby MrJolteon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am

I showcased it ages ago though...

viewtopic.php?p=102780#p102780
vivaldi_2018-04-09_11-35-16.png
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sat May 26, 2018 6:54 pm

MrJolteon wrote:I showcased it ages ago though...

viewtopic.php?p=102780#p102780
vivaldi_2018-04-09_11-35-16.png

Whoops. My bad. :oops:
DeltaLeeds

Previous

Return to Game Development