gE 1.4.1

Learn how to start making games.

Re: gE 1.4.1

Postby PookDGuru » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:43 am

I know you have your reasons, and that the game-editor community has a tendency recently to belittle people for making games (which is silly--that's like a restaurant belittling a cook for preparing food) , but I just want you to know I've checked this forum every day for months now, eager to see if the newest version is released. What I mean by that is, while there are some people on here who may only want to hurt the community, there are also those of us who are the developers' biggest fans, for making a gaming engine this great. Game editor is still by far my favorite tool to create games with, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who feel the same way. So, if you're ever feeling down about the future of game editor and the decline of its community, know that there's still a huge community who want to support you 100%, even if--to some people--GE has faded a bit. Thank you for all your hard work :)
Check out Advent: Deep Space!
PookDGuru

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:10 pm

PookDGuru wrote:I know you have your reasons, and that the game-editor community has a tendency recently to belittle people for making games (which is silly--that's like a restaurant belittling a cook for preparing food) , but I just want you to know I've checked this forum every day for months now, eager to see if the newest version is released. What I mean by that is, while there are some people on here who may only want to hurt the community, there are also those of us who are the developers' biggest fans, for making a gaming engine this great. Game editor is still by far my favorite tool to create games with, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who feel the same way. So, if you're ever feeling down about the future of game editor and the decline of its community, know that there's still a huge community who want to support you 100%, even if--to some people--GE has faded a bit. Thank you for all your hard work :)

Okay but if you are such a great fan then why don't you use this favorite tool of yours to do a game or a thing.

Since I've became an actual programmer, there must be a reason in existance of why I am still using Game-Editor.
I've realized that I can create a fine number of toolkits and frameworks that help me accomplish any game of my desire.
In fact, I am currently working hard on those enhancements. But would you work hard on something then release it and watch how it is not even being used, due to the fact no one creates games recently ? You see.. I am waiting for someone to do something.. otherwise "bat78 you do nothing" will be fairly (un)fair, regularly main conception.
People must finally realize that I am not creating games, but things/improvements/apis/toolkits/co-engines that HELP users to create games.
So I am not the one who must start creating GAMES.. And yet, they don't.. and calling people "lazy" didn't work.
Nay "You can always privately ask me for ANY kind of help, gE/programming-related, I will 100% help you out, even if it is spoon-feeding" didn't work.
Even worse.. some people that NEVER actually created anything have the effrontery to accuse me and teach me how to "behave", how to be "tolerant" and mature etc.

Now do you see what sits on this chair?
Exactly. Because usually the people's wish to create games sits there.
Now feel free to accommodate on this chair.
(In case someone again didn't perceive my point)
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:08 pm

bat78 wrote:
Now do you see what sits on this chair?
Exactly. Because usually the people's wish to create games sits there.
Now feel free to accommodate on this chair.
(In case someone again didn't perceive my point)

I'm pretty sure most game devs would sit here.

Jokes aside though.

Bat. You are a great person who is giving up a lot of your time to help this tool, even if some people don't see that. So I just want to be the first person to thank you, and 420foxbot. You two are working on one of the most biggest features of game editor and you feel no one gives a sh*t. It's just that people may not understand what you say and reply to quickly to even think. (Which I did recently :oops: ) So yeah, once again, thanks! :D

knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 pm

np. (nice set of images btw).

Yeah. I don't know what to post besides info about our projects. Not like there is anything for sharing.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby PookDGuru » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm sorry if I came across as antagonistic. I was just trying to be supportive and let you know how much I appreciate the work you all put into GE. And I make lots of games--I'm just really bad at completing them (usually because I don't like animating all that much). Most of my games are built around testing ideas and hypotheses and learning more code; for example, using strings and arrays to allow an actor to change through hundreds of animations with only four lines of code, or using NEAT to make enemy AI that can actually learn from previous encounters. I just never showcase them because I'm the kind of person who feels embarrassed to showcase my work in a community of better developers; I'd rather learn from all of you and support you than try to push my own work.

And that chair isn't empty. If you look at every person who has responded to this thread alone, there are at least that many people who are sitting in that chair. That chair is pretty crowded--we should probably get some more chairs.

All joking aside, all I wanted to do was encourage, so if it came across as anything else, I apologize for that.
PookDGuru

Postby PookDGuru » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Also I should mention, I am very thankful your hard work. I really appreciate all you do.
PookDGuru

Postby Turon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:22 pm

How's it doing Skydereign?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby PookDGuru » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:05 am

Still come here with a little hope, every now and then
PookDGuru

Postby skydereign » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 am

Soon. As always I never have enough time to work on gE, but I am close. All I have left are two SDL bugs, one which is rather critical as it is causing the mac version to freeze when you enter fullscreen.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:23 am

skydereign wrote:Soon. As always I never have enough time to work on gE, but I am close. All I have left are two SDL bugs, one which is rather critical as it is causing the mac version to freeze when you enter fullscreen.

That is great news! Your work is very much appreciated.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:35 am

Only two more bugs to fix? wow! and then we'll have scalling and rotation?
Turon

Postby speckford123 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:28 pm

Glad to hear that things are coming together!
And don't worry about it if your busy, if I was impatient I wouldn't still be here after 10 years, hahaha
speckford123

Score: 49 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Mon May 02, 2016 6:54 pm

skydereign wrote:Soon. As always I never have enough time to work on gE, but I am close. All I have left are two SDL bugs, one which is rather critical as it is causing the mac version to freeze when you enter fullscreen.

Just out of curiosity what are SDL bugs?
Turon

Postby lcl » Tue May 03, 2016 6:48 am

Turon wrote:Just out of curiosity what are SDL bugs?

Bugs that have something to do with the usage of the SDL (= Simple DirectMedia Layer) multimedia library.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Has Game Editor always used the SDL library? What sort of bugs are being encountered? One of them said to be a freezing problem.
Turon

PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started