City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Talk about making games.

City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Postby Zivouhr » Sat May 30, 2015 5:01 pm

CORbanner444x208.jpg

UPDATE: January 22, 2017
City of Rott: Streets of Rott is completed and the PC, Mac and Linux versions are planned for a February 14, 2017 release date for only $2.99, on Steam of steampowered.com if all goes to plan. The following features have been added, and the game has been improved quite a bit since the demo version:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/580880
Here's the Steam Store Page for the game, created on Game Editor. 8)

About This Game

Brawl your way through hordes of decay in the Streets of Rott, an
arcade style, side-scrolling beat ‘em up.

FRED
- An old, cranky dude with the skills of Walker Fu. Slow but tough.

MAX
- One who never gives up, Max carves his way through with his circular saw.

SARAH
- With hidden powers, Sarah uses her energy blades and fast speed.

STALKER OF THE OTHERWORLD
- The Evil Entity in charge of the Rotters.

ROTTER
- One of many varieties of the rabid, slow, mindless living dead.

CITY OF ROTT: STREETS OF ROTT
Only you can bring peace to the City of Rott: Streets of Rott.
Includes Single Player, Co-op Cheat Mode, Remix Mode and more.
FEATURES INCLUDE:

Eight arcade levels of brawler mayhem, each with a tough end boss.
Fun, challenging, action packed beat 'em up gameplay inspired by the classics.
Easily perform a full set of 11 unique attack moves per character including the Rage Attack.

3 playable main characters to choose from, each with unique fighting moves.
3 separate, alternative Co-Op characters to pick in the Co-Op Cheat Mode.
3 unique vehicles to ride. A clunky car, a revving sportbike, and a slick skateboard.
Freedom. Freely Walk or Drive east or west per level. Hop in and out of available vehicles.
Use objects to your advantage. Explosive junk cars, bashing barrels and more.

Remix Mode randomizes the level order, colors and music for fresh replay value.
Practice Mode lets you test out your moves, battle a friend and... well, practice.
Many Rotter enemy types to defeat with your ready skills, found vehicles and weapons.
Pulse pounding Electronica Industrial soundtrack by F. Sudol.

Power ups include handguns, shotguns, machine guns, explosives, shovels, shields.
3 Difficulty modes including Easy, Normal and Hard.
Options let you play the sound track, adjust game options, turn off the timer, add lives and more.
Endless Continues if you need them, just like in the Arcades.

Detailed, colorful illustrated graphics and cartoon animations.
Animated cartoon blood & gore and cartoon violence.
HD 720p fills screen, medium window view with 1080p HD.
Character audio voices share their thoughts after each stage.
Includes player movement through W,A,S,D or Arrow Keys, your choice.
Entire game created by F. Sudol, creator of the City of Rott animated horror movies.

Game programmed from scratch on Game Editor, a C based 2D game creation software.

City of Rott: Streets of Rott the Video Game is inspired by Streets of Rage, and includes 3 playable characters: Fred, Max and Sarah, fighting their way through each level filled with waves of varying zombie hordes and bosses, towards their goal to escape the City of Rott. In human form.

OLD NEWS:

UPDATE: August 9, 2016
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... ts+of+rott

Hi Game-Editor forum members. I seriously forgot about Steam after the initial amount of user posts on Steampowered.com fazed out within a few days, but I just got an email from Steam saying this game was Greenlit. Thank you to everyone who supported it.

Here's the email info:
Your title, "City of Rott: Streets of Rott," has been Greenlit!
To continue, you will need to complete the necessary digital paperwork to sign up as a new Steamworks Partner.

I was not expecting that at all to be honest, and had since put more energy into other art projects to earn a living, but continuing work on this game in my spare time of course. So now I just have to start the next steps to align it with Steampowered.

The only thing I really was wishing for was the update for game editor to allow for resizing the window of the game screen, but I haven't heard back from Skydereign yet, understandably as he has college and other obligations in life and I know programming is not a 123 fast process.

With my spare time which isn't as often as I would like, I've made some better progress with this brawler/beat 'em up style video game, City of Rott: Streets of Rott, planned for mid to late 2016 possibly, 2017 at the latest.
I'm creating the whole game, from art, animation, music, sound effects, programming, direction, etc. No easy task, but I appreciate any feedback and most of all, I appreciate the tips and forum tutorials for how to solve coding challenges. Thank you!

UPDATE: January 2016: DEMO now online at indiedb for PC, Mac, Linux. Created with Game Editor.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/city-of-ro ... ts-of-rott

UPDATE: November 3, 2015
Here's a new playable character, Sarah, in the game City of Rott, inspired by Sega's classic Streets of Rage.

------------
UPDATE: October 9, 2015

The City of Rott: Streets of Rott Video Game is developing slowly but surely, entire game created by one guy including the music and sound FX, animation, programming, etc. There have been some very difficult challenges in getting this game to do what I want it to, but major progress has been achieved in the past month especially. This is a sample of one of the early levels in the game, but I have yet to program in the first boss at the end of the level.
You'll most likely have the freedom to wander around the level as long as you want, as I don't plan to add a timer unless it improves the gameplay in some way from a design standpoint. The animation in this video capture is only 15 frames per second, so it's capturing only half of the smooth animation in the final game. Most assets are from my feature film project, City of Rott: Otherworld and from the original City of Rott. Inspirations include Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3, as well as Final Fight, Golden Axe, etc. The game is planned for PC, Mac and Linux. Thanks for watching! -F. Sudol. All Content © F. Sudol.

------------
UPDATE: October 3, 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-qv1fUJpg

As posted from the Support thread: Much thanks to Skydereign and Speckford123 for two very valuable tips! 8) Thanks!! Skydereign for the zdepth layering tip and Speckford for the player to enemy collision/alignment detection tip!
skydereign wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:Would a canvas be the easiest way to change the zdepth depending on whether the enemy clones are lower in the screen (near) or higher in the screen (farther)? And would it work for spawned enemies from an enemy spawner?
Trying to create a side scrolling beat em up game and have some clumsy ways to change the zdepth, including using different region rectangles that are contacted by the bottom of the enemy to change the enemy clone's zdepth, but it doesn't work smoothly when the closer enemy has to overlap the farther enemy.

You can use yscreen as a way of setting zdepth.
Code: Select all
ChangeZDepth("Event Actor", yscreen);

You can batch it as well if you need to by using yscreen/view.height or similar. Another thing I'd recommend is setting zdepth by the bottom of the actor (so use yscreen+height/2 instead). That way you can have any sized sprite and it should sort properly.

SUCCESSFUL CODE FOR ZDEPTH LAYERING OF ENEMIES AND PLAYER!
enemy (and player) /draw actor/script editor: //and then put this code in with the draw actor of the enemy script editor. No other code needed other than in the draw event of the characters, including the player and the separate enemies.
if(yscreen+height/2>collide.yscreen+height/2)  //I only half understand what this does. ;)
{
    ChangeZDepth("Event Actor", yscreen+height/2);   
}
else
if(yscreen+height/2<collide.yscreen+height/2)
{
    ChangeZDepth("Event Actor", yscreen-height/2);  //This is the same as above, but minus after yscreen.
}

//That worked really well so far for the enemies forming from below and above, over 20 enemies blending into the right order as intended in front and behind so far.
Just need to get the player to stand out in front of them now, as his identical code isn't setting him up front probably because he's got the same code as the enemies.

EDIT 3: SUCCESS! Now it's working perfect for the ZDepth layers of the characters onscreen, smoothly and consistently moving from front to back and vice versa without glitching back and forth awkwardly as my other coding was doing.
It works! I've been trying to figure this stuff out for weeks/months.
The reason the player wasn't working like the enemies is because I forgot to remove the old code from his collision with the enemies.
This is seriously the best zdepth layering code I've been able to implement to the side scrolling brawler style game. Thanks again Skydereign for the initial spark to figure this out. :D

-----------
UPDATE: September 28, 2015

City of Rott the Game has gained some major progress in development since last time. Some difficulties I surpassed included the character facing the wrong way, collision detection not working properly, how to include a weapon, how to include special moves, and many other features that take a lot of manual scripting in Game-Editor.
City of Rott the game will most likely be released by 2016, though it might possibly depend on the timing of the movie also. Developed, programmed, art work, animation, music, sound effects by myself as is the goal, so it'll take some time to complete. This early version is a work in progress subject to change. PC, Mac, Linux. Zombie Horror, action brawler.
Goal is the add a special move or two more, plus a boss to each level stage, and at least five levels to play through, 8 being ideal.

----------------------
OLD NEWS BELOW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Go_4Y1UIQ

With Game-Editor, still learning to program City of Rott the game to do what I want it to, which is very tough since knowledge of C Language is required. A freedom brawler is a lot more complicated than it first seems. Much more to do before level 1 can be made. Here you can see improvements in animation compared to the first version, though with my screen capture recorder, it misses a lot of frames, so the actual game is a lot smoother looking. Sound is captured live too instead of interior sourced. Estimated release date, possibly mid 2016, late 2016. Not sure yet depending on my free time. Planned for PC, Mac, Linux.

The toughest part is getting the collision detection right, and when he's hit by zombies, and when he hits zombies or misses. Tricky stuff for a learning programmer with C language. Plus I wonder if Game-Editor has a glitch where for some reason, the directional buttons programmed for Left + Up at the same time, doesn't respond to script commands.
I wonder if Makslane may have forgot to program that command in Game-Editor's software or there's some kind of glitch, while Right + Up responds to the command perfectly, set for the right side animation and action. Have to find a work around because of it on every game with this left and up arrow key down command.

OLD NEWS BELOW:

I'm currently working on a new game City of Rott: The Game in my spare time that is going to be similar to the movement and style of Streets of Rage, but could use some ideas or suggestions from the Game Editor Forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrq7fwAZhj8

(Streets of Rage 2: Image copyright Sega of Japan)
In Streets of Rage, the player can move all around the street as well as the enemies, up, down, left, right in an isometric view more or less. The tricky part is having the Zdepth correct for where they overlap on the screen, but also how to register punches on the right zdepth as well.

CONTROLS:
Up, down, left, right (arrow keys)
Spacebar (attack)

With this style of brawler open map gameplay, the challenges are:
1. How to make the player's attack only hurt the enemy when the enemy is next to the player, and not above or below the player?
Goal: How do I make the player's punch only active against the enemy when they are on the same ZDepth?
Right now, I can press punch when beneath the enemy (y plane vertical) and it'll hit the enemy's legs and the enemy will be hurt, which isn't realistic since they're not on the same X plane (horizontal plane) or Zdepth level, say zdepth 1.0 for the player, 0.4 for the enemy.

I was thinking:
When both player and enemy clone are in same Zdepth plane region (either 1, 2, 3 or 4), then player punch will register a hit to the enemy if in range to the enemy. And when the player is in region 1, and the enemy in region 3 for example, the player's attack won't hurt the enemy.

Thinking an if statement would be the answer, so:

"if player and enemy are both on region 1, player's attack will hurt enemy clone". I'm not sure how to code that as there are so many variables. I'm thinking the code would have to go in the player's collision and attack (space Bar).
I need to learn STATE switch coding and have been studying it, though I wonder if it's mainly just for animation?

2. How to make the player and enemies overlap properly depending on their Y plane position vertically on the screen? yscreen.
In this test, I used 4 different regions horizontally and vertically, (long rectangles), so when the bottom of the enemy or player contacts the region, their zdepth will change so they're in front of or behind other enemies or the player depending on their location on the map. I sort of have this figured out, but it's pretty clumsy right now for the enemies and the player, with the zdepth flickering awkwardly at present. It's the best I could think of at the moment.

3. How to have the player grab the enemy and toss them, or have the enemy clone grab the player?
I was thinking something to do with "Move To" or change parent coding.

Here are two pics from the game, City of Rott: with the actual graphics I created:

Above, he is about to hit the enemy's legs, but he's on the wrong X plane or Zdepth, since he's not next to the enemy, but it still registers a hit against the enemy. I want to prevent this from being allowed.

Here he is on the correct X plane, Zdepth, right next to the enemy. This registers a hit correctly.

Here is the GED file of the work in Progress with some beginner coding (think of it as a block of clay yet to be sculpted), subject to change as I'm just starting to think of ways to proceed with this style game for the first attempt. Please note the graphics are only placeholders. The real game will be much better in appearance. :wink:

---Here's a new code I just tried that is working so far (erasing the zdepth regions completely and just relying on the enemies position in relation to each other), though I need to keep it updating so if they change position on the y vertical axis, they'll be in the correct layered order.
enemy/draw actor/script editor:

if (yscreen>y)  //if the enemy clone’s yscreen position is greater than other clone’s Y
{
ChangeZDepth (“Event Actor”, 0.9);  //closer up layer
}
else
if(yscreen<y) //if the enemy clone’s yscreen position is less than other clone’s Y

{
ChangeZDepth (“Event Actor”, 0.1);  //farther back layer
}

It's the best I can think of on my own, and for the player, I just added a green box region below him and parented to the player, so whenever that region hits the enemy clones, it changes the player's zdepth to appear behind them, since if they're contacting it, it means he's higher up in the screen. This method works 100% for zdepth anyway.

Now just have to figure out collision hits for player to enemy and enemy to player.

UPDATE: See the last page for the latest updates, thanks.
Attachments
CORbanner444x208.jpg
Last edited by Zivouhr on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:34 am, edited 39 times in total.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: (Streets of Rage-like Brawler)

Postby speckford123 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:23 pm

If I was making something like this I probably would have made a poorly designed code that changes zdepth every frame based on the Y position of their feet
then if they wanted to hit eachother they would have to be in an acceptable Y range, like

if(y+(height*0.5)>collide.y+(height*o.5)-20 && y+(height*0.5)<collide.y+(height*o.5)+20)
getpunched=1;

The codes I use aren't the best, but if I can make it feel good in game I go with it, hahaha
speckford123

Score: 49 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:15 pm

speckford123 wrote:If I was making something like this I probably would have made a poorly designed code that changes zdepth every frame based on the Y position of their feet
then if they wanted to hit eachother they would have to be in an acceptable Y range, like

if(y+(height*0.5)>collide.y+(height*o.5)-20  &&  y+(height*0.5)<collide.y+(height*o.5)+20)
getpunched=1;

The codes I use aren't the best, but if I can make it feel good in game I go with it, hahaha

Thanks Speckford for the reply. I'll take a look and give that a try, thanks for the tip! 8)
I agree, if a code works and doesn't slow down the game or take up too much memory, even if it's not expertly crafted, I'll use it since I'm not an expert.

==========
EDIT: Speckford, thanks for the clever code, so far it works! Thank you!
It took me some practice to wrap my mind around it and where to put the code, but it's a lot easier this way than with the collision regions I had attached to the player which was a complicated mess trying to figure out how to control the collision of
the player and his collision hitzone region to the enemy and the player hitting attack in the right direction at the left side of the enemy clone and what a nightmare trying to figure that out.

So instead, I implemented the clever code you suggested and
I put it into:
player/collision/left side of enemy
if(y+(height*0.5)>collide.y+(height*o.5)-20  &&  y+(height*0.5)<collide.y+(height*o.5)+20)
{
if (hitA==1) //hitA means right side attack
{
if (hit==1) //hit equals the actual spacebar attack button left or right sided
(
DestroyActor ("Collide Actor"); //enemy clone
}
}
}

player/collision/right side of enemy
{
if (hitA==0) //hitA 0 means left side attack
{
if (hit==1) //hit equals the actual spacebar attack button left or right sided
(
DestroyActor ("Collide Actor"); //enemy clone
}
}
}

That was a relief to finally get this working as planned, so now player's hits only register against the enemy when the enemy is just about next to the player. I'll tinker with it some more but right now it's working as intended. Thanks again!!

Next goal I'm working on which I have some ideas about is to change the player's animation hits with each successive hit against the enemy, so instead of the same punch, it creates a flow of different styled hits, like maybe a punch, a low punch, and a high punch in order, the high punch finally knocking out the zombie. (punch being with the old man's walker).
Zivouhr

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:16 am

Update video in first thread post, showing the latest progress. It'll get there eventually. :wink:
Zivouhr

Postby Turon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 pm

I've finally come into the position of seeing this game. I like that main character, that old guy, I couldn't imagine a old guy defeat a whole lot of zombies, this is unique! However the zombies all seem to take one hit to defeat and they all look the same...are there going to be any other characters and enemies?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:37 am

Turon wrote:I've finally come into the position of seeing this game. I like that main character, that old guy, I couldn't imagine a old guy defeat a whole lot of zombies, this is unique! However the zombies all seem to take one hit to defeat and they all look the same...are there going to be any other characters and enemies?

Thanks Turon.
Yes, there will be different zombies attacking throughout the city, and the background is only a temporary placeholder for testing the mechanics.

I'm testing out zombies that take more than one hit, but just have to figure out how to use the animindex and state coding and draw actor all at the same time. The current challenge is trying to have the new animation, like a zombie swinging his arm, override the walk animation of the zombie. The swing appears for a split second but the walk animation takes over. Probably the state coding might solve this. Complicated stuff to do something simple, for someone still learning like myself.

How are your games developing Turon?
Zivouhr

Postby Turon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 am

Just like you I'm still figuring out the switch statment thing, steelwil helped a lot with the constants and now I have about 17 and counting values asigned to one user variable!
Turon

Postby Zivouhr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:31 am

Turon wrote:Just like you I'm still figuring out the switch statment thing, steelwil helped a lot with the constants and now I have about 17 and counting values asigned to one user variable!

Sounds good. Best success with your new games! 8)
Zivouhr

Postby Zivouhr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:00 am

New update with new video progress on City of Rott the video game. Parallax scrolling, improved graphics, (animation though this video only records at 15 fps so it doesn't capture the full speed of the game), sound effects, moves, etc.
Zivouhr

Postby Turon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Zivouhr wrote:New update with new video progress on City of Rott the video game. Parallax scrolling, improved graphics, (animation though this video only records at 15 fps so it doesn't capture the full speed of the game), sound effects, moves, etc.

Parallax scrolling? whats that? For some reason this game got me thinking about zombie physiology, the title of this game got me thinking about things that rot away so these zombies are rotten or rotting. Would zombies have bright red blood? I mean when a human is dead for awhile the blood turns purple right? unless these zombies are both alive and rotting... What is a zombie exactly?
Turon

Postby Zivouhr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Turon wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:New update with new video progress on City of Rott the video game. Parallax scrolling, improved graphics, (animation though this video only records at 15 fps so it doesn't capture the full speed of the game), sound effects, moves, etc.

Parallax scrolling? whats that? For some reason this game got me thinking about zombie physiology, the title of this game got me thinking about things that rot away so these zombies are rotten or rotting. Would zombies have bright red blood? I mean when a human is dead for awhile the blood turns purple right? unless these zombies are both alive and rotting... What is a zombie exactly?

Thanks Turon.

Parallax scrolling is when multiple background layers move to give the impression of 3D Depth. Made famous in 16 Bit Genesis games like Streets of Rage for example, or Revenge of Shinobi. Mega Man on NES also.

A zombie no longer has a heartbeat, its gray skin decays and its muscles often become rigid, resulting in a clumsy, slow stumble to get around. It feeds on humans and often requires being dispatched through the brain. The red color of the blood is just going for a cartoon style, so realism isn't the goal, though I imagine it starts to turn darker over time as the red blood cells decay. Just watch The Walking Dead series. ;)

Just added a throw attack where he can toss the zombies into the air. While airborne, the zombie can hit other zombies for additional damage, making the attack move more meaningful.

The ZDepth is currently something I'm trying to fine tune. I wish ZDepth had an option like Transparency does, but thinking of different ways to approach it so when the character is in front, he appears in front of the others behind him, and when moving to the back of the screen, he appears behind the others. Getting it to go smoothly is the tricky part.

I tried it where the character's bottom side under the shoes hits a trigger that changes its zdepth with each contact of a different trigger placed vertically, but the accuracy is not the best. Currently testing y>collide.y methods as well as yscreen.

EDIT: UPDATE: Problem solved! Thanks to a helpful tip from Skydereign, I was finally able to solve they mystery code of having the enemies and the player shift layers depending on where they are onscreen, front of the screen (bottom) or back of the screen (top). Working exactly like I wanted it now. Thanks again! :D
See first thread post for resolution to the ZDepth challenge.
Zivouhr

Postby Turon » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Hey I just realised that if you mastered this z-depth thing you might be able to make a isometric platformer.
Zivhour wrote:EDIT: UPDATE: Problem solved! Thanks to a helpful tip from Skydereign, I was finally able to solve they mystery code of having the enemies and the player shift layers depending on where they are onscreen, front of the screen (bottom) or back of the screen (top). Working exactly like I wanted it now. Thanks again! :D
Skydereign?
Turon

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Turon wrote:Hey I just realised that if you mastered this z-depth thing you might be able to make a isometric platformer.
Zivhour wrote:EDIT: UPDATE: Problem solved! Thanks to a helpful tip from Skydereign, I was finally able to solve they mystery code of having the enemies and the player shift layers depending on where they are onscreen, front of the screen (bottom) or back of the screen (top). Working exactly like I wanted it now. Thanks again! :D
Skydereign?

Yes, give it a try! When the character moves back up into the screen, he appears behind things in front of him, and when he's forward in front of the screen, he appears in front of things behind him. Code is working really well overall.

In another thread, Skydereign gave me a very useful tip to help solve the problem of zdepth.

Here's a quick sample I created to demonstrate how the script works in Game Editor:
zdepthmoveactorTutorial.ged
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Zivouhr

Postby Zivouhr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:57 am

------------
UPDATE: October 9, 2015

Significant Progress to City of Rott; Streets of Rott the Video Game:

When I have time, I'll post updates on the progress of this game on the Game Editor forum if I can to show Game Editor is a generally good game development software capable of almost any 2D game you can imagine. I never thought a side scrolling fighter was possible at first on Game Editor, but the development has proven it is.

The City of Rott: Streets of Rott Video Game, a side scrolling brawler, is developing slowly but surely, entire game created by one guy including the music and sound FX, animation, programming, etc. There have been some very difficult challenges in getting this game to do what I want it to, but major progress has been achieved in the past month especially. This is a sample of one of the early levels in the game, but I have yet to program in the first boss at the end of the level.
You'll most likely have the freedom to wander around the level as long as you want, as I don't plan to add a timer unless it improves the gameplay in some way from a design standpoint. The animation in this video capture is only 15 frames per second, so it's capturing only half of the smooth animation in the final game. Most assets are from my feature film project, City of Rott: Otherworld and from the original City of Rott. Inspirations include Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3, as well as Final Fight, Golden Axe, etc. The game is planned for PC, Mac and Linux.
Attachments
CORbanner444x208.jpg
Last edited by Zivouhr on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zivouhr

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux (2D Braw

Postby Turon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:57 am

You're doing everything? thats pretty cool. I can also see that you are varying your zombies a bit some of them are bent others have their arms extended out and still others curle there arms in,
though they all have the same coloration and their blood looks the same... The music is pretty pumped must say, good job. :wink:
Turon

Next

Return to Game Development