Is GE 3d truly a crazy idea?

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Is GE 3d truly a crazy idea?

Postby Ehman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 pm

NO!, If made this may make GE been popular in the game market because people no longer go for 2d games now. E.g a game player sees a 2d racing simulation as well as 2d racing game, He will surely go for 3d.
Well, with Faith, I am looking forward to GE 3D.
GE developers I pray you have better knowledge on how to make GE 3d
Ehman

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: Is GE 3d truly a crazy idea?

Postby Ehman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 am

@Makslane when making GE 3d, put a feature to add 3d object and motion animation. I knew this is a big project.
Ehman

Postby lcl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:41 am

It seems that you're not up to date on what the status of the development of Game Editor is. It is dead, for now at least. No one is working on it.

Also, transforming GE into a 3D engine would be much more work than you seem to think. Essentially, it would mean remaking almost everything - the game engine and the editor itself. It would be a completely new program. And, given how much more complex 3D engines are when compared to 2D engines, it would be an enormous undertaking.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Ehman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 am

Now I understand why GE is now open source
Just because nobody is working on it so any user can try to develop it using an svn program (maybe TortoiseSVN as suggested by Makslane)
Ehman

Postby mkk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:39 pm

GE has canvas actor type, you can easily you use that to make a 3d renderer. but the actual question is "is it worth it?"
making a software renderer for a 2d game engine is a bad idea, you're gonna suffer from performance issues and also it will be useless since basically you are rewriting a game engine inside another game engine, because you can just write the software renderer in SDL2 or even better you can just use OpenGL. i think Game Editor should just stay 2D and contributors should work on fixing the existing bugs and adding new features to the current sprite engine such as rotation and other transforms.
mkk

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby Ehman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Ehman

Postby alfredabel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:36 am

In the world of software, a milestone like this is indeed cause for celebration. Software for infrastructure is hard to build and high-risk, and tapping into a collective talent through open sourced software projects is shrewd. But it also raises an interesting challenge: The open source community governance works slowly, to keep out malefactors, which makes it tedious for companies to get their engineers involved.
alfredabel

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General