Please fix the really annoying "Spike jump" effect?

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

Please fix the really annoying "Spike jump" effect?

Postby Hblade » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:53 pm

If you put the GE face on the screen, just that 1 single actor, and move him horizontally or vertically, you'll see that its smooth for around 1 second, then the frames get Skippy and Glitchy for like a half a second and it repeats this over and over again. No matter what processor, computer, etc I'm on, it's always done this. I request a new render engine O.o
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Re: Please fix the really annoying "Spike jump" effect?

Postby lcl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

New render engine..? Let's be realistic, don't you see that GE development is extremely slow at the moment because there is really only 1 person (akr) working on 1.5, and any updates won't come
before its' release. I tried to replicate your problem, and I see what you mean, but somehow, it hasn't bothered me on any game I've played (or made). I've never noticed it before.

GE developer(s) have a lot of work to do with the 1.5 and with Android and iOS ports, and that's why I think this problem is really a minor
concern for them, since you're the first person to even notice it. If it really was that bad, there would be much more people complaining about it, I think. :D
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 pm

lcl wrote:since you're the first person to even notice it.

He's definitely not the first person to mention it. It's called screen tearing, and there was at least one or two threads complaining about it as well.

lcl wrote:Let's be realistic, don't you see that GE development is extremely slow at the moment because there is really only 1 person (akr) working on 1.5, and any updates won't come before its' release.

From what I can tell, there has been no work on 1.5 for a few months by either of us. Over the summer I'll probably try to get the linux version to properly build, but there hasn't been a commit to the repository for quite some time.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:26 pm

skydereign wrote:
lcl wrote:since you're the first person to even notice it.

He's definitely not the first person to mention it. It's called screen tearing, and there was at least one or two threads complaining about it as well.

Ok, I didn't know that.

skydereign wrote:From what I can tell, there has been no work on 1.5 for a few months by either of us. Over the summer I'll probably try to get the linux version to properly build, but there hasn't been a commit to the repository for quite some time.

Ok, good luck!
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Lokaar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:47 pm

you might need vsync or limit FPS to the monitor's refresh rate
Lokaar

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:23 am

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori ... dsg_19.jpg

That's not what I'm seeing lol, sorry for confusion. What I mean is, the whole frames will "Stutter" for a brief second, and repeat that over and over again. Smooth 1 second, skippy for another second
Hblade

Postby skydereign » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 am

Hblade wrote:That's not what I'm seeing lol, sorry for confusion. What I mean is, the whole frames will "Stutter" for a brief second, and repeat that over and over again. Smooth 1 second, skippy for another second

Actually that is what you are seeing. It's caused by the same problem. In the one actor example of it, you don't see it in the same way, but it is still the same issue.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:11 am

Oh alright, so its pretty much like a giant whole-frame screen tear thing? :) Thats good that the frame rate isn't actually dropping, that makes me feel a lot better actually :D Because now if I ever complete a game, I can just explain. Thanks sky, I didn't know this kind of thing was a form of screen tearing :)
Hblade

Return to General